Cephalopods ( I think) everywhere!!! So neat!!!

Becky Benfer

I found this cool rock today while hunting arrowheads! It is loaded with some kind of fossils- are they cephalopods? It even has groove marks on it as if it could had been used as a tool long ago. I need your help please... am I correct in thinking they are cephalopods? Thanks for all help! Soooooo excited to find this!

ACFB271B-A05E-4DD2-92B7-4FE99687C9C0.jpeg

I'm afraid I'm not seeing any cephalopods.

One would expect more consistency in shape and diagnostic features. A specific location would help but I believe these are just some sort of mineralization/staining. As for the grooves they appear to be natural weathering, I don't see anything that would indicate it was used as a tool. Sorry to say but I believe this is purely geological.

• I found this Informative 2

I have to agree with @Huntonia, this looks geologic to me. Could be an igneous rock carried down by the glaciers and dumped near you. I don’t see anything that looks like fossils in the rock. Sorry. It is a very nice looking rock though. 

• I found this Informative 3

The pebble shows feldspars with an ophitic porphyric texture in a dark matrix, so I would say it's a porphyry diabase.....

• I found this Informative 5

Even though it’s not what I was hoping to hear ... I appreciate your help and all the information.  Someone asked my location - it’s North Central Ohio and the rock is 3” tall by 5” wide and very heavy!  I seem to find a lot of rocks related to magma cooling events in this area. I didn’t know Ohio was once volcanic. I was soooo sure I had finally found a cool fossil ..ugh!!!  I read that this is a “common” rock however I don’t recall seeing this type of rock in my area . I’ll keep a sharper eye out for it now that I know what it is. Learning , learning, learning....thanks soooo much!

Ohio's bedrock is all sedimentary. However other types of rock could have been transported there either by glaciers or human activity. This is especially true in the northern part of the state that was covered by glaciers in the last ice age. A cool looking rock! Ohio's bedrock produces a wide variety of fossils which can be found in a number of places. 

• I found this Informative 2

52 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

Even though it’s not what I was hoping to hear ... I appreciate your help and all the information.

Thanks for your understanding. :)

Sometimes people get upset when they don’t hear what they want to hear, and then they don’t appreciate, or thank, everyone that took the time to answer. You are a good example for others to follow. :thumbsu:

BTW... It may not be a fossil, but I still think it’s a neat rock regardless. I myself have one shelf dedicated to non fossil finds. My “cool rock shelf”. I would proudly display it there. :D 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

4 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

the rock is 3” tall by 5” wide and very heavy!  I seem to find a lot of rocks related to magma cooling events in this area. I didn’t know Ohio was once volcanic.

You can try to attract a neodymium magnet to it. These types of rock often contain small aggregates of magnetite so they should response.

Living in areas with glacial erratics can contain different rocks from areas covering thousand of squarekilometres geology. So If you visit one gravel pit in quaternary deposits you can sometimes learn more about rocks and earth history than people sticking their hole life in the jurassic. ;) I usually take my students to these outcrops in their first field trips.

• I found this Informative 1