A shark tooth or from a pet cat?

Krisr101

Good morning!

I am a complete novice so this may be very easy for all of you.

I was walking the beach along the ocean in Saint Augustine, Florida (northeastern Florida). I always look for shark teeth (of which there are many) but recognize them as being black. I found this tooth and it is cream colored. My husband thinks it might belong to someone’s pet. But, it could be something exciting! What do you think?

27EFF249-E155-4A77-9A13-2ABA68F1CEB0.thumb.jpeg.8e761cd8a8e2c440e89c7317fe300c9a.jpeg

F8C6F895-FE3C-40CE-83D0-076F0E0FE456.jpeg

AA4B752C-7FF0-45E7-BF04-074B76D23A22.jpeg

Looks like a partial shark tooth to me, could be modern but looks mineralised to me

• I found this Informative 1

I would like to nominate this topic for the non-existent "Quirkiest thread title of the year" award

the object is a shark tooth that lost its root and has been split in half.

• I found this Informative 2

Looks to be from a Sand Tiger Shark (Carcharhinus taurus) which is pretty much the only shark in the area that has teeth that long and pointy.

tiburon.jpg

These sharks are still found along the coast and are a favorite in aquariums with large tanks because they are relatively docile sharks with a face full of of nasty looking teeth that seems to delight the visitors. This tooth may be relatively modern given its color but it could also be quite old and fossilized (mineralized). Most fossil shark teeth in South Florida tend to turn black being stained that color due to the presence of high amounts of phosphate during permineralization. Occasionally, fossil teeth can be found with colors much more close to the bright white of a "fresh" tooth when they are buried in sediments that don't change their color. From the yellowing of the enamel but the bright white root I'd think this tooth is fairly old but has spent its time offshore in the calcareous sand from the beach you found it on.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

While that coloration is very distinctive in Moroccan fossil (especially Otodus obliquus teeth that we see so commonly from that area), a lighter coloration is not only found there. Florida fossil shark teeth that have not been preserved in phosphate rich areas like the Peace River are often found in creams and amber colors. Even Peace River teeth that have been buried in light colored clays retain a coloration that is far from the gray-to-black color that we automatically think of when Florida fossil teeth come to mind. ;) Makes much more sense than someone dropping a Moroccan tooth on a Florida beach--the species is also not consistent with those from the Kem Kem beds.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

On 3/27/2020 at 9:49 AM, GeschWhat said:

Welcome to the forum! I like your first photo showing the internal structure of the shark tooth. Happy hunting; be well. :)

Thank you!

On 3/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, Rockwood said:

You wouldn't catch me petting a cat with teeth that size. :)

Lol! It does look like it could take a little nibble out of you. 

Edited by Krisr101
Missed a word

Thank you everyone for your amazing (and quick!) responses. I feel like I learned so much. I look forward to learning more from all of you.