CP or Dnsons ARO

Pterygotus

26 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You can buy an oil lubricated compressor and still do abrasive work. doing this requires additional equipment but it is doable. I have an oil lubricated compressor; between it and the abrasive I have 3 coalescing filters and a massive desiccant canister.

I do not disagree that you can do this and I may go with a very expensive large (60 gallon) two stage oiled compressor once my current one dies. Oiled units tend to be available with much bigger tanks and can store at higher pressures. My current 15 gallon Dewalt unit stores at 225 PSI and cuts in at 165 PSI. Given its  tank size and pressure this allows for continues usage of a scribe or the abrasion unit with no drop off in pressure. 

But for most people given the limited number of hours that they will be prepping an oiless as compressor is the way to go even though they may not last as long as an oil lubricated compressor. Each time you introduce a filter, a desiccator , a change in flow diameter, an increase in surface area you reduce the effectiveness of your air flow. I have the pressure set at 125 PSI coming out of the compressor in the garage. There is a 100 foot air hose to get to the prep lab, 2 coalescing filters and a large desiccator. This then feeds a contraption with a shutoff valve and 2 universal connectors , one going to my COMCO abrasion unit and the other going to a contraption that has 6 Universal connectors for scribes and air blower. The pressure reading is 110 at the scribes a drop of 15 PSI because of all the rigging.

• I found this Informative 2

They used to charge about  $100.00 USD.

You'd have to contact them to find out. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I dont find that listed on their website.  Although it looks identical to a generic scribe that is sold under a half dozen brand names.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

30 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

I dont find that listed on their website.  Although it looks identical to a generic scribe that is sold under a half dozen brand names.  

It’s in the Ingersoll Rand, ARO section :).

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

They used to charge about  $100.00 USD.

You'd have to contact them to find out. 

Also, would that scribe be the original ARO? Sorry about all my questions :).

26 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Also, would that scribe be the original ARO? Sorry about all my questions :).

I don't think so.

That looks like it is a replacement for the original. I believe that the original was silver/metallic in color, rather than black. . 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

I don't think so.

That looks like it is a replacement for the original. I believe that the original was silver/metallic in color, rather than black. . 

So would they be the same or would the original be better. The black one seems to be made by Ingersoll Rand as well which is who I think made the original ARO.

Just now, Pterygotus said:

So would they be the same or would the original be better. The black one seems to be made by Ingersoll Rand as well which is who I think made the original ARO.

Also, is it best to opt for the allairproducts 8315 scribe or this one. Thanks :).

Ingersol Rand made the original. This one looks the same as mine except for the colour and the fact that mine is about 20 years old

I don't know about them other than where to find them.  Sorry.  :shrug:

Thank you @Kane @Malcolmt @Scylla @Ptychodus04 @Bob Saunders @Ludwigia @Fossildude19 @hadrosauridae for all your help! All this information is going to come in very useful :). Just one last question :P. What else will I need in order to connect the compressor to the scribe? For example, like water extraction? etc. And would an ARO be similar to the Cp9160 as the cp is much easier to source here in the U.K. Thanks a lot.

I don’t know anything about the CP9160 but it looks similar to the ARO from pictures. 

You will need a minimum of the following to connect your scribe to the compressor:

3 pairs of quick disconnect fittings

1 general purpose air filter (basically filters larger debris and water)

1 compressed air hose

You might also find that a splitter ($10) after the water trap would be useful to which you would plug in your scribe and an air blower ($10) on a 6 to 12 foot hose ($10-$15). I use two 5 way splitters ($8) but they also come in 2 and 3 splits.

Get  any hoses you need with the correct Quick connect fittings on it. Having perfect seals at all fitting points is your goal (in reality it is almost impossible to achieve) 

You will need teflon tape to put on the threads at each point you connect that you install fittings (test for leaks with soap and water).

You will also need a can of sewing machine oil or 3 in 1 oil. to lubricate your scribe. Get one that is clear and colorless, if it looks like oil it will stain your matrix. You need to put 1 to 3 drops of oil in the line to the scribe (after the water trap) each week or so depending on how much you are using it.

If you are not using in a blast box of some kind you need N95 masks to protect your lungs (the scribe will take of dust as well as chips. Without a box you will get matrix chips everywhere in the room you are prepping in.

A shop vac with a drywall dust bag will really help with clean up and can provide the negative pressure for when eventually you will have a blast box. You will eventual get one

Lights You can never have too many. There are LED units (little heat thrown off and uses less electricity) for home work shops which are very good for this purpose. The more lumens the better. The two I use are 3000 lumens each.

Magnification of some type. On the high end this can be a stereo zoom scope on the low end it can be a magnifier on a stand or a 2x to 3x headband type. I never prep anything except under magnification. 

A homemade sandbag is great for positioning the matrix you are working on so you dont have to use a hand to hold it.

If you do not have a blast box you can use a shopvac to mount a hose above the item you  are prepping to help keep the dust under control and out of your lungs.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I don’t know anything about the CP9160 but it looks similar to the ARO from pictures. 

You will need a minimum of the following to connect your scribe to the compressor:

3 pairs of quick disconnect fittings

1 general purpose air filter (basically filters larger debris and water)

1 compressed air hose

For the quick disconnect fittings, it comes up with a wide variety. Which should I choose?

I like the brass ones they seem to be better at not leaking and do not corrode as much as the steel ones. As for the type I use the Industrial M style plug and coupler. I have tried the Universal couplers and I find they start to leak after using them for a while. You just need to make sure the coupler matches the plugs you buy. Don't buy the cheap Chinese ones, they end up leaking all the time. I get a decent quality one from Home Depot and They typically last a few years with frequent tool changes before they leak more than I like. Pretty much impossible to totally get rid of your leaks 

11 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

I like the brass ones they seem to be better at not leaking and do not corrode as much as the steel ones. As for the type I use the Industrial M style plug and coupler. I have tried the Universal couplers and I find they start to leak after using them for a while. You just need to make sure the coupler matches the plugs you buy. Don't buy the cheap Chinese ones, they end up leaking all the time. I get a decent quality one from Home Depot and They typically last a few years with frequent tool changes before they leak more than I like. Pretty much impossible to totally get rid of your leaks 

Out of these, which one seems best :)

035C6BBC-9357-4312-B3A7-A11705B50288.png

Those are not quick connect couplers.. Those are permanent couplers. Just google Quick connect air coupler type M

This is for home depot in North America (I am in Canada)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milton-Industries-Inc-1-4-in-MNPT-M-Style-Coupler-S-716/30183671

You need a male and female for each connection that you will put a removable to attached to . You buy the hose with the correct permanent connector already on it when possible.

I have always had the best luck with brass connectors which over here tend to be slightly more expensive than the steel ones in your pics.

10 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Those are not quick connect couplers.. Those are permanent couplers. Just google Quick connect air coupler type M

This is for home depot in North America (I am in Canada)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milton-Industries-Inc-1-4-in-MNPT-M-Style-Coupler-S-716/30183671

You need a male and female for each connection that you will put a removable to attached to . You buy the hose with the correct permanent connector already on it when possible.

I have always had the best luck with brass connectors which over here tend to be slightly more expensive than the steel ones in your pics.

So these then? :)

70778D35-B137-4C28-9AC7-917BCBE20BA9.jpeg

Yes, personally I would prefer in brass because they tend to leak less. You need to see what coupler is on the scribe you buy (it may or may not have one on) .On some scribes it is really hard to change the coupler they crimp on. If it ends in a male or female permanent connector they you need to buy the appropriate plug to go into you Quick connect that you will attach to the output side of the water trap / filter .

You would have a hose from the compressor to the water trap /filter. The hose should have a male permanent connector going into the female hole in the water trap / filter (you put teflon tape on the threads). If you are not putting on a splitter then you would put a female quick connect plug with a male connector going into the the other female hole on the water trap. Note the direction of flow on the water trap it should be marked with an arrow.You would have a male quick connect plug on the end of your scribe hose that goes into the female quick connect coming out of the water trap / filter.  Easy Peasey......

I agree that the brass connectors are worth the extra cost. I have one of my air filters connected directly to the compressor with a male quick connect fitting. Female quick connect on the other side of the filter, then the male quick connect of the first 50' hose leading to the lab. once it goes into the lab, it hits another water trap and a coalescing filter. Then, I put in a tee with a 25' hose leading to a 4 way manifold I built for scribes. The other side of the tee goes into my desiccant for the abrasive system.

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

Yes, personally I would prefer in brass because they tend to leak less. You need to see what coupler is on the scribe you buy (it may or may not have one on) .On some scribes it is really hard to change the coupler they crimp on. If it ends in a male or female permanent connector they you need to buy the appropriate plug to go into you Quick connect that you will attach to the output side of the water trap / filter .

You would have a hose from the compressor to the water trap /filter. The hose should have a male permanent connector going into the female hole in the water trap / filter (you put teflon tape on the threads). If you are not putting on a splitter then you would put a female quick connect plug with a male connector going into the the other female hole on the water trap. Note the direction of flow on the water trap it should be marked with an arrow.You would have a male quick connect plug on the end of your scribe hose that goes into the female quick connect coming out of the water trap / filter.  Easy Peasey......

21 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I agree that the brass connectors are worth the extra cost. I have one of my air filters connected directly to the compressor with a male quick connect fitting. Female quick connect on the other side of the filter, then the male quick connect of the first 50' hose leading to the lab. once it goes into the lab, it hits another water trap and a coalescing filter. Then, I put in a tee with a 25' hose leading to a 4 way manifold I built for scribes. The other side of the tee goes into my desiccant for the abrasive system.

So this is what I’ve got so far. Does this seem about right :D?

Cp9160 scribe 

1B36E216-119E-4D4D-9FE4-F6374FF89739.thumb.jpeg.1278f6177ede232f5d084fa1fd86bb05.jpeg

50 litre compressor

06030232-4CAE-471B-9FED-03092C28469B.thumb.jpeg.5c8e06b92040787f6746fd7fdc9aae35.jpeg

air filter

0742DB5B-D080-4C48-BE94-5B6A39716939.thumb.jpeg.55bb9b9007c28440a734c60cba2ff8c4.jpeg

compressed air hose 

3612CC91-BB72-4552-B6CE-9EDB2F2AE9D7.thumb.jpeg.52adc5c7a421ffed41d5e10ff50fa117.jpeg

and some connect couplers 055FC7C1-5840-4D3C-B69B-07C8816C0AF6.thumb.jpeg.e737290214ad70cc1e7a9733df30c0db.jpeg

The tank is still small but it seems a workable start for you as long as you arent trying to spend long days prepping.  To add to the conversion, you also need an oil-mist separator because the compressor you showed is oil lubed.  Be prepared to buy adapters to put everything together.  Many times you buy everything in 1/4" thread but sometimes you need something thats 3/8" or 1/2" and then you need an adapter for size, or to go male-male or vise-versa.  Theres no such thing as buying a fossil prep lab kit, so you have figure out how to make thing play well together.  Also keep in mind that the larger the air-line and larger connector means less airflow restriction before you get to the tool.  But.... large items also cost more, so..... plan your system and buy what you can afford.

If you havent seen it, look at the thread I made about the prep lab I just finished.  Maybe it will help you with some ideas.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Get a straight hose not a curled one. Make sure that air regulator filter is rated to at least 125 PSI. I personally believe that the CP9160 is a poor choice. Was never meant for fossil work. You should have an oil separator in your line if you go with that compressor

+1 on the straight hose. coiled hoses are a nightmare. If your compressor is oil lubricated, simply trade out the filter/regulator you show with a coalescing filter.

After the compressor, a good filter is the most important piece of your setup (in my opinion). You will be amazed at the amount of junk the filter will pick up.