CP or Dnsons ARO

Pterygotus

12 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

+1 on the straight hose. coiled hoses are a nightmare. If your compressor is oil lubricated, simply trade out the filter/regulator you show with a coalescing filter.

After the compressor, a good filter is the most important piece of your setup (in my opinion). You will be amazed at the amount of junk the filter will pick up.

This claims to filter both oil and water. Will it be okay?

60C124F2-ED54-4E4C-AA51-8B9FAD86E8A9.png

That looks like a filter with an auto oiler. You definitely don't want this if you ever plan to use abrasive with the system. If you have an oil lubricated compressor and don't have a filter that removes aerosol oils, you will eventually foul your scribes since compressor oil is different than the oil you want to lubricate your tool with. Also, the compressor picks up aerosol oils from the ambient air. This turns into some foul stuff in the system. A coalescing filter is the only way to actually get aerosol oil and water out of the system. The only problem... they aren't cheap. HERE'S an example.

If you don't plan to prep like a madman, you can get by with a simple particle and water filter.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That looks like a filter with an auto oiler. You definitely don't want this if you ever plan to use abrasive with the system. If you have an oil lubricated compressor and don't have a filter that removes aerosol oils, you will eventually foul your scribes since compressor oil is different than the oil you want to lubricate your tool with. Also, the compressor picks up aerosol oils from the ambient air. This turns into some foul stuff in the system. A coalescing filter is the only way to actually get aerosol oil and water out of the system. The only problem... they aren't cheap. HERE'S an example.

If you don't plan to prep like a madman, you can get by with a simple particle and water filter.

I think I’m going to go for the oil less after all. This one doesn’t mention oil in the description and seems to be electric. How’s this one. Sorry for all the questions. 

B1C1526A-116F-4C2E-AE8C-7E01184834A8.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Can you share the specs for the compressors, or at least brand and model number? It is hard to make a recommendation on just photos.

Sorry, for the Kiei it is 

Engine : 2.5 HP 
Voltage: 220 V
Air Displacement: 9.6CFM 
Pressure: 115 PSI / 8 bar 
Tank: 50 litres 

and I think both have the same specifications except the Switzer operates at 230 volts

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

What are the model numbers? I'll google them for the specific info I'm looking for.

The listing doesn’t give a model number but here’s the link. Thanks. https://www.online.co.uk/itm/Air-Compressor-Electric-50L-Litre-LTR-2-5HP-115PSI-8BAR-Direct-Drive-Garage-Tool/143486809423?hash=item21687af54f:g:HU8AAOSwvgheCajD

Edit: I don’t think that one was oil free. Maybe this one? Thanks. https://www.parkerbrand.co.uk/24l-oil-less-air-compressor-473

Ugg. Their page is terrible. Max pressure is a little low but the main data you need (CFM rating) is missing. Other than that, it looks like it will be a serviceable unit for scribe work. 65 dB is pretty quiet for an oil lubricated compressor, let alone an oil-less compressor (they are typically much louder). I wonder if that is accurate.

5 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Ugg. Their page is terrible. Max pressure is a little low but the main data you need (CFM rating) is missing. Other than that, it looks like it will be a serviceable unit for scribe work. 65 dB is pretty quiet for an oil lubricated compressor, let alone an oil-less compressor (they are typically much louder). I wonder if that is accurate.

Thanks so much :)

At max PSI of 115 It will be running constantly to keep up with the scribe...... depending on what all you have between the compressor and the scribe you may not even achieve 110PSI at the scribe.

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the part. My first pen was the 3961. Did me solid for a few months until I was ready to dive deeper. A lot of it depends on where the ammos are from. The dnsons pens from what iv heard aren’t great, though their stylus do fit it so that’s always good. These pens are Mai lay for roughing out, after roughing out you’ll need a second pen that runs at a lower psi for all the delicate work. Ken Mannion is the main man in the uk. Though there’s a new company in Dorset that’s started selling pens that are just as good quality if not a little better. Zoicpaleotech. Then it’s all about practicing on some snarge ammos you don’t want to keep until you’re ready. If you ever want any prep work doing on stuff you don’t wanna do, give me a shout as I offer prep services. 

Dan

On 4/1/2020 at 2:36 PM, Malcolmt said:

At max PSI of 115 It will be running constantly to keep up with the scribe...... depending on what all you have between the compressor and the scribe you may not even achieve 110PSI at the scribe.

CFM is more important than max pressure in my opinion. If you get anywhere close to around 100-110 PSI, most scribes are happy. Pressure is what pushes the scribe but the CFM is what determines whether or not the compressor can keep up with the scribe.