We got a large donation of STH fossil material from @JBMugu recently. I have been working from home for a week now and this has given me time to break down the large amount of material. There has been lots of sorting, some light cleaning, and quite a bit of time at the microscope as he gave us quite a bit of micro matrix to go through and that can be pretty time consuming.

I thought it might be fun to go through the donation and show the progress we have made in sorting through so many fossils. This donation is so large that we got fossils that will not only bolster the displays and give us loads of give away teeth for the kids but we also have some trade material from this as well. We not only got a huge boost to the shark programs but the marine mammal program was boosted and even the dinosaurs got a lift from a bird bone.

The first step was going through each item that was already set aside. Easiest part lol Next we sorted through the large bags of shark teeth to separate the complete/mostly complete teeth from the broken ones. Then we sorted through the complete teeth to separate by order and then family/genus. Once we had done all that, the material got a further sorting based on items being used in displays, giveaways, hands on fossils, and potential trade teeth. After we got those basic sorting out of the way, I began sorting through the micros. Hardest part but the most fun for sure. I also sorted out a few teeth for our good friend @Tay Francis and he will be getting some of micro matrix too.

We got some incredible teeth. We got a 2" Cosmopolitodus hastalis upper and a huge lower tooh ( a bit of root restoration but really awesome) plus loads of smaller teeth from various positions. We got loads of really pretty planus teeth including a couple of large ones, 1.75" inches. I found a few Isurus desori and they may be my favorites so far. 8 that I can say with some degree of confidence are desori. Gorgeous colors. We got a beautiful lower Hexanchus and found a small partial lower. We got a couple of really nice Hemipristis teeth and found two symphyseal teeth. We got a partial STH Meg and a giant 6" east coast Meg. Plenty of Galeocerdo and Physogaleus teeth. We found quite a few Carcharhinus teeth. I need to take a closer look to get the specific ID's. We also got a very rare and awesome Echinorhinus tooth !! We got excellent batoid material and have found plenty in the micros. The marine mammal teeth are awesome. We got a fantastic Cetacean vert and a small bird bone. Jesse also included some great matrix pieces for us to show the kids too and a beautiful shark vert.

The micros have been a really pleasant surprise. I have found about 10 Heterodontus teeth so far which is more than I had thought. The colors on the Squatina teeth are awesome. I love the Tope Shark teeth. We have found a couple of really interesting teeth. We found one that according to Elasmo would seem to fit the Triakis type tooth that can be found in STH micro stuff. We found one that I am 99% sure is a Scyliorhinus tooth. We found one that looks like it might be an Alopias tooth. Not sure on the ID on it but it is an interesting tooth. I have found far fewer Mustelus teeth than I thought but I have found two so we can add that to our display. I think we have found at least one example of all batoids. We even found a tiny shark vert !

We are still processing micros and will not be able to show off the displays until we get more rikers lol  We want to thank Jesse for his generosity and continued support of what we do. This improves what can we do and how we do it. It will also allow us to further improve our collection through a trade or two which we really never get to do. 

Enjoy the pictures :)

• I found this Informative 3

Carcharodon hastalis 

I go with Carcharodon now. First picture are the nice ones headed to display. 

Second picture- complete/nearly complete. Hands on teeth, some for possible trade, plenty of excellent give away teeth for special occasions. 

D47F665B-8444-4603-883E-7A27F681CE08.jpeg

2CAA2D69-CBA3-4A4A-8142-97496D1CC368.jpeg

Cosmopolitodus planus

Gorgeous colors on the display teeth

a bunch of complete and colorful planus teeth.

I actually mixed up the pictures lol The bag in the hastalis post are planus teeth. This pic will be hastalis teeth lol

BBDFDD72-A2AE-4E86-A6CD-3B04AEEE6F8F.jpeg

F422D2CC-38AF-4A8B-B932-5E2610057416.jpeg

First pic- Hemi teeth, Meg frag, shark vert

Second pic- Galeocerdo, Physogaleus, Carcharhinus teeth

969792A4-D6AE-4410-ABF5-598EEDC5ECB4.jpeg

4FAA64C6-A657-4F93-B59E-CFABD11C63A5.jpeg

First pic- lots of beautiful Squatina teeth

Second pic- Isurus desori

Third pic- micro madness !!!! 

Heterodontus lateral teeth, Galeorhinus, Squalus, Mustelus, Scyliorhinus, and an unidentified tooth ( I thought Alopias perhaps) 

95B0A8D9-D543-48EF-9A83-1FBBA37AE37C.jpeg

97521962-6EE1-49D4-ADD9-4F9A2E522C6B.jpeg

51878FC3-590F-483A-B4DA-086EE832BBA3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

What are these small, cylinder containers holding your microfossils are called? I forgot what it was called and I am trying to buy some online. :D

By the way, nice fossils!

1.25” inch gem jars ! 

20 minutes ago, Darbi said:

What are these small, cylinder containers holding your microfossils are called? I forgot what it was called and I am trying to buy some online. :D

By the way, nice fossils!

Thank you very much

• I found this Informative 1

Some marine mammal fossils. Really cool teeth from Allodesmus, a partial Desmostylus, Cetacean teeth. 

242C9695-A182-4D40-AC49-2EC991FD1120.jpeg

On 3/27/2020 at 11:44 PM, fossilsonwheels said:

1.25” inch gem jars !

Thank you, I definitely need some for my tiny specimens!

Hi Kurt,

I'd like to see the Scyliorhinus tooth if it's possible for you to get a shot of it.  Those teeth tend to be in that 1-2 mm range.  I've seen teeth advertised as Scyliorhinus before but they were Triakis teeth.  I assume there is more than one form but the cat shark teeth I've seen are more slender than what you see with Triakis.  I've seen at least two teeth that compare well to Cephaloscyllium.

I also just want to say thanks to Jesse for his incredible generosity especially during this uncertain time.

Jess

Hi Jess

As I review the micros, I am going to agree there are more Triakis. In the picture you won’t see much but the upper tooth is one I believe to be Triakis. The one on the bottom right I am not sure. Under the scope I thought Cat Shark but I don’t know. Could be something else. 

Bottom left is my best bet. Under the scope, it looks like a Scyliorhinus. It has a more slender appearance and looked very similar to some Miocene Scyliorhinus in papers I found on line. It doesn’t look like the Triakis teeth to me. 

I can can try to get better pics, they are really small. 

I absolutely agree. Jesse really helped us immensely. We are extremely grateful for the fossils and for the time spent sorting and studying and picking micros. It has been a great source of productive relaxation time. 

63724832-00CF-4283-AAB1-9E6183088E16.jpeg

I don’t think it’s Scyliorhinus, I don’t see the little denticles on either side. And this species is usually thinner.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

6 hours ago, Coco said:

I don’t think it’s Scyliorhinus, I don’t see the little denticles on either side. And this species is usually thinner.

Coco

Hi Coco,

I agree.  The two teeth on the right are Triakis.  The tooth on the left is at an angle so it's hard to see but I doubt it is a cat shark.

I hope you and your family are well.

Jess

Agree the three in the photo are not Scyliorhinus. There was a 4th much smaller tooth hiding in the corner. You can see it in the photo at the very bottom of the photo. This is the one I thought might be. Different than the others but I’ll assume still not a Cat Shark. 

I am disappointed that I failed to find a Cat but I still have the matrix and I’ll just keep searching lol

B19368C9-F796-4010-A6F2-1469D47B4F62.jpeg

Looks like you are doing a good job sorting the micro stuff good to see someone going through it. I spent a few weeks looking for micros but its hard on the eyes. Your welcome to come down to the quarry and load up a truck-full of micro-matrix if you want, it will all just get buried eventually.

How did you like the matrix pieces?

45 minutes ago, JBMugu said:

Looks like you are doing a good job sorting the micro stuff good to see someone going through it. I spent a few weeks looking for micros but its hard on the eyes. Your welcome to come down to the quarry and load up a truck-full of micro-matrix if you want, it will all just get buried eventually.

How did you like the matrix pieces?

The micro stuff does get hard on the eyes but I actually enjoy the search very much. Keeps me busy and sharpens the ID skills. Heck yeah, we will load up on micro mix. That’s a good deal. 

I love the matrix pieces. The mammal teeth in matrix are especially cool. The kids will dig the shark tooth pieces. 

I have pretty much sorted everything. I found about 10 desori and they are gorgeous so I’m pretty stoked about that. I love all of it lol