Scylla

Sorry if this was asked before but Jurassic World is on TV and my daughter asked how did they get mosasaur DNA from amber. Aquatic mosquitoes? Yes, I know it is not real.

• I found this Informative 1

In one of the books Doctor Wu talks about how they can get proteins from crushed up bones. 

I also know this is fiction. :D

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

18 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I also know this is fiction.

Woah, What?!  Man you can't just go spring this on a guy without fair warning!  You at least should give a shout-out of "Spoiler Alert!" before dumping this knowledge on my head.  I now have to go rethink my entire understanding of "modern paleontology".  Ach!  :o:default_faint:

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

Woah, What?!  Man you can't just go spring this on a guy without fair warning!  You at least should give a shout-out of "Spoiler Alert!" before dumping this knowledge on my head.  I now have to go rethink my entire understanding of "modern paleontology".  Ach!  :o:default_faint:

I only meant the characters names may have been changed.

Obviously the main plot and the science are entirely accurate.:whistle:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

In one of the books Doctor Wu talks about how they can get proteins from crushed up bones. 

It also said this in the film :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Fiction? 

This picture proves you wrong. They are coming back. :)

90356409_2743509535776995_5645128061209804800_o.thumb.jpg.754dfb41778d86d8b1105e86b670be86.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Hi,

I recognize @GeschWhat in the background ! :heartylaugh:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

The mosquitoes bit the mosasaurs while they were floating on the surface, sunbathing. Everybody knows that! :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Another possibility is that the mosquitos bit a beached mosasaur and then got trapped in amber while still carrying its DNA

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 7:42 PM, PaleoNoel said:

Another possibility is that the mosquitos bit a beached mosasaur and then got trapped in amber while still carrying its DNA

I concur with PaleoNoel. We all should know that mosasaurs often beached themselves when chasing T-rex in the shallows and the T-mosquitoes would flock onto them and carry them to their lair. 

Actually they got the DNA from Amber like this. "Hey, Amber, can you sell us some of your mosasaur DNA?" Amber asked how much they were willing to pay and once they had settled on a price, she sold them some. No one knows where Amber got it because they didn't care and didn't ask. Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that there were no swing sets in Jurassic Park. :D 

Just kidding. In reality, the mosquitoes bit the mosasaurs when they came out of the water to play beach volleyball with the T-Rexes. Especially towards evening.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Was there really a Dr. Wu in Jurassic whatever?  Is it the same Dr. Wu as the Steely Dan song?  How did I miss this?  Or did I just forget it?