Allosaurus tooth

Dracarys

Recently received back from my prepper a 2.2 inch allosaurus tooth. Here is the before and after. Big difference. At first I thought that the tip was missing but it turns out that it was natural feeding wear! Extra bonus. 

78A9EFB6-B7F2-4278-B16B-2C6F6FF0902E.jpeg

2F0023E8-9ADF-4D5C-9D5C-83AB638CD83B.jpeg

19118C9C-A771-4461-ABDC-AE8B11ACD810.jpeg

710C569D-5D98-4ACF-9811-DD6C21051E69.jpeg

6F6CCDC3-21FA-46A5-863A-DCC48B1BC1E1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Very nice! Your prepper did a fine job on this one--just enough to stabilize it without going overboard.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice tooth and good prep work just doing what was necessary.  Characteristics look more like a Meglosaurid than Allosaurid especially with the short mesial carina.   Might want to verify.  Locality?

• I found this Informative 1

35 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice tooth and good prep work just doing what was necessary.  Characteristics look more like a Meglosaurid than Allosaurid especially with the short mesial carina.   Might want to verify.  Locality?

Morrison formation, Wyoming. I sent the images prior to prep to Ken Carpenter and he verified it as a tooth from a big allosaurus. 

2 hours ago, Dracarys said:

Recently received back from my prepper a 2.2 inch allosaurus tooth. Here is the before and after. Big difference. At first I thought that the tip was missing but it turns out that it was natural feeding wear! Extra bonus. 

Amazing tooth!

21 minutes ago, Dracarys said:

Morrison formation, Wyoming. I sent the images prior to prep to Ken Carpenter and he verified it as a tooth from a big allosaurus. 

Beg to differ characteristics dont match up clearly meglosaurid with that short mesial carina. Hendrickx latest paper describes that feature as part of meglosaurids not most Allosaurids.  I would ask Hendrickx I know he's responds to most emails.

• I found this Informative 4

36 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Beg to differ characteristics dont match up clearly meglosaurid with that short mesial carina. Hendrickx latest paper describes that feature as part of meglosaurids not most Allosaurids.  I would ask Hendrickx I know he's responds to most emails.

I am happy to send pics to him. So you think possible Torvo or Marsh? Thanks Frank. 

To all curious, I have consulted w Hendrickx and he confirmed that this is an Allosaurus tooth, lateral dentition, probably from the dentary. He felt this was a subadult to adult specimen of medium sized. Great to have such wonderful resources. Thanks @Troodon for the suggestion. 

• I found this Informative 2

On 3/29/2020 at 10:18 AM, Dracarys said:

78A9EFB6-B7F2-4278-B16B-2C6F6FF0902E.jpeg 2F0023E8-9ADF-4D5C-9D5C-83AB638CD83B.jpeg

19118C9C-A771-4461-ABDC-AE8B11ACD810.jpeg 710C569D-5D98-4ACF-9811-DD6C21051E69.jpeg 6F6CCDC3-21FA-46A5-863A-DCC48B1BC1E1.jpeg

Super tooth! Allosaurus teeth have a special characteristic about them that makes them stand out to other teeth I think