Santa Cruz Mountain Miocene Era Fossil #1

MioceneFossils

I collect fossils in already disturbed areas around Scotts Valley, CA, mostly sand quarries and road cuts. The fossilized sand dollars I've collected date to the Miocene 10-12 million and, from what I understand, most everything is similar from a chronological point of view. This area was a vast, shallow ocean back then so most of the fossils are aquatic. An intact sea cow from this era was famously collected in this region. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Miocene Fossil_1.jpg

Miocene Fossil_2.jpg

Miocene Fossil_3.jpg

Hello from Humboldt! 

Your specimen is showing some strange “striations” that don’t quite scream bone too me. 

I wonder if it isn’t some type of coral?

I'm almost completely clueless. Much of this is new to me. Coral makes sense. I'll upload a few more I found today and maybe they'll be more definitive. Thanks, Humboldt!

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

These striations indicate a piece of coral to me.

5e814cd9cb2d1_MioceneFossil_3.thumb.jpg.5b21ca870064c06e97cdb459acd4c9d1.jpg.17b14a688b4b760a90a39c6a1fe27809.jpg

Thank you!

You can find a some bone pieces and rocks that have been heavily water-worn in the Lower Santa Margarita Formation.  They take on so many suggestive shapes so the imagination can take over (like the potato chip that looked like Nixon).  The degree of wear is because a lot of material was transported from a distance (maybe as far as San Luis Obispo) and it got deposited in the Scotts Valley area.  Sometimes, you can see the grain of a piece of bone; other times, it's hard to say.

Jess