COVID Containment Collecting

Captcrunch227

After spending a great deal of time in the house lately do to COVID and days and days of rain, I took the family on a nice leisurely walk to our favorite hunting spot on this beautiful North Texas day. While the kids wwere off collecting some beautiful Turitellas and oysters, I had only one thing on the mind, shark teeth.

Cretalamna seems to dominate this site, however some large Cretodus semiplicatus have been found. A Ptychodus latissimus and 2 Plesiosaur teeth have also been found at the site, filling us with hope on each trip for an incredible find.

The trip was a pretty good haul, 11 teeth found in 2 hours. Not bad for a nice family outing. The real highlight though were 2 shark verebrae (about the size of a bottle cap), not large, but still my first ones I've ever found which put me over the moon. They were found just a few feet away from each other, so odds are they belonged to the same critter which is even more incredible!

And now it's time for everyone's favorite game, FIND THAT FOSSIL!

IMG_6009.JPG

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6011.JPG

IMG_6010.JPG

IMG_6013.JPG

IMG_6012.JPG

IMG_6014.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

IMG_6063.JPG

IMG_6016.JPG

• I found this Informative 16
  • Enjoyed 3

Great pictures ! Glad to see you on here my friend. Hope the family is safe and healthy

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Great pictures ! Glad to see you on here my friend. Hope the family is safe and healthy

Thanks buddy. Took a bit of a break while we moved and got settled. Glad to be back though. 

I hope you and the family are doing well in these crazy times. 

Nice finds. 

Love the bivalves (Gryphaea?) :)

The game of 'find the fossil' was pretty easy, mostly as the fossil was pretty much in the centre of each photo. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice report! It’s good that you were able to get the family out of the house for a while. Exercise, alleviate boredom, enjoy nature, and of course fossils!  Congrats on the nice little vertebrae.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

Nice report! It’s good that you were able to get the family out of the house for a while. Exercise, alleviate boredom, enjoy nature, and of course fossils!  Congrats on the nice little vertebrae.

Thank you! Yes it was a nice little getaway. Coronavirus has gotten really bad here in our town so we seldom leave the house now. It made this trip all the more fun and finding the vertebrae all the more sweet.

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds. 

The game of 'find the fossil' was pretty easy, mostly as the fossil was pretty much in the centre of each photo. ;)

Thank you for the kind words! Yeahs the gryphea are ALL OVER that site, there are tens of thousands of them there, it's crazy. By now I just see them as the things that hide the good stuff and cut your hand as you crawl on the ground haha!

Yeah I had noticed that too when I was posting them, I should have noted then that it's Find the Fossil: Junior Edition :look:

I've got a great idea though for Find the Fossil: Tidgy's Dad Edition :heartylaugh:

354F4A4D-B531-4BA2-9A9A-DAEDD9F12B93.png

2 hours ago, Captcrunch227 said:

I've got a great idea though for Find the Fossil: Tidgy's Dad Edition 

Hmmmm.

All over? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hmmmm.

All over? 

Well apparently game design is not my gift. I won’t be quitting my day job any time soon I guess haha. 

9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds. 

Yes, but did you find the other 17?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Yes, but did you find the other 17?

Hmmm.

Never thought of that. 

I'll go back and take another look. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

• 1 year later...

Cool teeth. Looks like a fun site to take the family to.

By the way I’m trying to work on identifying formations. Is this the Woodbine formation?