Possible Egg? Looks suspect to me

Log

Hi all. Newbie Jeff here. I’m a collector of sorts and come across all sorts of odd items on a regular basis.

I recently came across something that was immediately suspect to me. It may just be a rock but I’ll lay out the scenario of how I got it and then you can check out the pics and maybe someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I got a literal truckload of home decor, knock knacks etc for free. Ended up being 11 large storage bins full of all sorts of south/Central American folk and native art, various antiques, housewares etc. I can tell you nothing I’ve found in this lot is cheap.

I opened a lidded yankee candle that was a bit heavier than it should have been and found this little piece of curiosity wrapped nicely and tucked inside it.

I won’t be heartbroken if it isn’t legit, but there’s something unique about it and now I need to know.

thanks in advance 

Jeffi

81AF3B99-1C77-4600-A6AC-E5C990DE4750.jpeg

7F949E99-B477-4DA9-95E3-4D49CB2EB086.jpeg

E2CBDE4B-FA09-47A5-8946-C75E64C83904.jpeg

2 hours ago, Log said:

I opened a lidded yankee candle that was a bit heavier than it should have been and found this little piece of curiosity wrapped nicely and tucked inside it.

I can imagine it being used by someones mother or grandmother as a sewing (or similar craft) devise. Such an object would have a very personal kind of value.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Looks like a concretion to me. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks soo much for the quick response. Happy to know what it is, really had zero idea but came to the right place. I think it’s gonna hang around for a bit.

• I found this Informative 1

As stated above it may have had special value to the previous owner. But that special value might have been that they thought it was a fossilized egg. These concretions are much much more common than fossilized eggs and look (to the untrained eye) more like what we think a fossilized egg would look like than fossilized eggs actually do. ;) I have a bunch of "just rocks" that are not particularly interesting and not in the least bit rare or special other than it is an interesting rock that I picked up on a memorable trip with friends and/or family. Those rocks hold memories for me but have no value at all without the attached memories.

It's an interesting looking concretion with a nice looking chert "rind" along the outside. Possibly, the rock now has special value to you as it will be an unusual artifact to remind you of the great deal you got on some interesting stuff. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Here is an "egg" concretion similar to yours.  Mine is NOT an egg, just an iron type concretion.

DSCN0229.JPG

Not an egg, and just so you know one reason why: If the eggshell was that thick, the embryo would need a compressed air jackhammer to break out of there.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!