Miocene Era Fossils #3

MioceneFossils

I collect fossils in already disturbed areas around Scotts Valley, CA, mostly sand quarries and road cuts. The fossilized sand dollars I've collected date to the Miocene 10-12 million and, from what I understand, most everything found in this area is similar from a chronological point of view. This region was a vast, shallow ocean back then so most of the fossils are aquatic. An intact sea cow from this era was famously collected in this region. The first fossil I posted appears to be coral. Ithought this one might be a shark tooth, but I'm now skeptical. I've also added a collection photo of the other little bits and scraps I found yesterday. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Tooth1.jpg

Tooth2.jpg

Various.jpg

I don't think this is a shark tooth. A shark tooth should hold a consistent, at least somewhat symmetrical shape, and should show distinct enamel, root, and bourlette often times with preserved serrations. I see none of these features on your piece sorry. Here is a picture of an Angustiden tooth for reference.

large.01_ACERiverBasin_SC_Angy_012117.jpg.395996695f31605ada71cc80e0cb4501.thumb.jpg.0261e052e7a2fc4163f8ba2989a36648.jpg

California. About 200 miles southeast of you. 

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!