Show us your concretions.

Ruger9a

Good afternoon folks.  I am wondering if anyone in our group has a "collection" of mislabeled concretions.  If so, post them here it may help others identify some of their unknowns.

Egg-not1.JPG

Nut-not1.jpg

Nut-not2.jpg

DSCN0229.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Not a concretion per say, but it came out of a concretion. This was from pretty much the only concretion I have found that actually had a fossil as the nucleus. A cetacean vertebra.

Usually they are just mud/clay balls.

This vert tumbled out of the center when the concretion fell out of the wall and broke open.

20200330_173352.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Why don't I ever find anything like that in my concretions..?  Just notes that say "better luck next time"...LOL  Here's a concretion that is really exotic.

20200220_080342 (2).jpg

20200220_080359 (2).jpg

20200220_080430 (2).jpg

20200220_080459 (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Awwwww,  come on folks.  I can't be the only concretion collector (by proxy) in this forum.  Here is one more to inspire someone else to show their gifts of nature.

Concretion 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I have a few. As soon as the kiddos go to sleep I’ll try and get some pics. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Here are a few I have laying around the house. :D 

A94A79AC-3BA7-46A9-9309-95B0795F8F9F.jpeg

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

1 hour ago, Rob Russell said:

Wow, I don't feel all alone in this strange "species" collection hobby.  You've definitely got me beat!  Any interesting finds in those buckets? 

16 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I have a few. As soon as the kiddos go to sleep I’ll try and get some pics. :) 

I'm looking forward to your posts.....  

On 4/2/2020 at 9:33 AM, Rob Russell said:

A94A79AC-3BA7-46A9-9309-95B0795F8F9F.jpeg

I can see a few there that may hurt you if you keep them. I'll PM you with a safe address to which you can send them for proper disposal. Ok, so it WON'T work, but at least I tried.

This kind of thing will happen when the question doesn't rule out MC collectors. And these are only the very pretty ones. The other 37 buckets are out in the garage. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

16 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I can see a few there that may hurt you if you keep them. I'll PM you with a safe address to which you can send them for proper disposal. Ok, so it WON'T work, but at least I tried.

This kind of thing will happen when the question doesn't rule out MC collectors. And these are only the very pretty ones. The other 37 buckets are out in the garage. 

Other 37 buckets.....OMG!!!  That many concretions would drive me crazy, I would probably lose it one day and start hammering away.  I know that's a bad thing, so I'm glad they belong to you.  I thought I had quite a few!  I filled a drawer or two with the smaller concretions and the rest became garden decorations:-)  Thanks for sharing!  Here's one more....frozen and thawed 10 times before I gave up on it.

Unk.jpg

8 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Wow, I don't feel all alone in this strange "species" collection hobby.  You've definitely got me beat!  Any interesting finds in those buckets? 

Oh yeah. My mazon creek collection is extensive. Considering nothing I have has been purchased. Like Mark mentioned, Mazon creek hunters hoard nods. You can’t freeze/thaw them faster than you can collect them. If you put the effort in. 

This picture I took several years ago when I lived about 25 miles from where I do now. These nods have long since been cycled, and replaced with others. :) 

My 37 buckets are gone about 9 years now. None left. I was just saying that if you say "show us your concretions" you better be ready for the Mazon Creek collectors because concretions are us. The most I had in the garage at the same time was 23, but I know people who had more than 100 waiting for processing, and 10 times as many who had 50 or more. I opened between about 18,000 to 20,000 concretions total, and that is a relatively small amount for a serious collector. My collection is close to 600 specimens, maybe 550 as I've given many away.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

8 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

My 37 buckets are gone about 9 years now. None left. I was just saying that if you say "show us your concretions" you better be ready for the Mazon Creek collectors because concretions are us. The most I had in the garage at the same time was 23, but I know people who had more than 100 waiting for processing, and 10 times as many who had 50 or more. I opened between about 18,000 to 20,000 concretions total, and that is a relatively small amount for a serious collector. My collection is close to 600 specimens, maybe 550 as I've given many away.

Mark, Rob.  I don't know what I would do if I had retired close to MC or within a two to three hour drive...…  What my garage would look like!  Seems like it's turned into an obsession for many and I'm afraid I would also have become one (of the lucky).   I see what you mean about the title, maybe I should have called it something like "show us your weird concretions" or "unidentified concretions".  I do enjoy looking at what other members have collected so feel free to post more.  37 buckets...and I thought I was running out of display & storage room......LOL

I've been watching an item for sale for about a year now on online. It is 195 5-gallon buckets of Mazon Creek concretions for $19,500. I would be tempted to buy a bucket for $100 if the seller was selling them as single buckets, just to get some concretions from sites that are hard to collect nowadays. But $19,500 is a little rich for my blood! 

7 hours ago, bigred97 said:

I've been watching an item for sale for about a year now on online. It is 195 5-gallon buckets of Mazon Creek concretions for $19,500. I would be tempted to buy a bucket for $100 if the seller was selling them as single buckets, just to get some concretions from sites that are hard to collect nowadays. But $19,500 is a little rich for my blood! 

$19,500.00????  That's almost what I paid for my first house back in 1974!!!  Shoot, you can buy a nice fairly new vehicle for that price.  But then again, it's been hanging out there for over a year.  Maybe the seller will realize the need for a price adjustment to something we could afford and start breaking the lot size down as well.  I'm with you, way too rich for my blood. 

It would take a semi truck to transport 195 buckets anywhere. Is shipping included in 20K? :P 

I’ve sold single specimens for 4K. Soooooo

35 minutes ago, Rob Russell said:

It would take a semi truck to transport 195 buckets anywhere. Is shipping included in 20K? :P 

I’ve sold single specimens for 4K. Soooooo

I agree, the shipping cost would be prohibited.

WOW!!!   4K for one fossil sale?  I've never sold a single fossil I've collected.  I've traded some, donated some and gave some to the neighborhood kids.  Don't know why I can't bring myself to sell one???  Maybe it's because I know I'll never get another JUST like it or I have may just have an OCD.....LOL

There is actually a Mazon Creek item that is even higher-priced on online. There is a listing for "RARE fossil Amphibian Eggs Mazon creek" for $24,500. The picture sure does look like a lot like Mazonova helmichnus which I understand is quite rare. So maybe that is a good price? Still way way out of my price range.

@Rob Russell shipping is not included for the 195 buckets, and after you pay in full you have 45 days to remove all buckets from the property. I'll be really curious as to what happened if that listing ever disappears. Did someone buy it? Or the seller gave up? By the way, I would be curious to know what you sold for $4K, if you don't mind sharing.

5 minutes ago, bigred97 said:

There is actually a Mazon Creek item that is even higher-priced on online. There is a listing for "RARE fossil Amphibian Eggs Mazon creek" for $24,500. The picture sure does look like a lot like Mazonova helmichnus which I understand is quite rare. So maybe that is a good price? Still way way out of my price range.

Wow, I guess that makes me a "Cheapser Collector"!  I just don't have the funds to expend on something non-essential like that.  I would rather have a newer model vehicle with some bells and whistles'  Now if I had plentiful, extra bucks……who knows?

54 minutes ago, bigred97 said:

@Rob Russell shipping is not included for the 195 buckets, and after you pay in full you have 45 days to remove all buckets from the property. I'll be really curious as to what happened if that listing ever disappears. Did someone buy it? Or the seller gave up? By the way, I would be curious to know what you sold for $4K, if you don't mind sharing.

The fossil in my avatar. 

On 3.4.2020 at 2:40 AM, Ruger9a said:

Seems like it's turned into an obsession for many

Totally understand this!

You never know, what will appear in the next concretion. Its like addiction to gambling ;).

Btw, I do not collect concretions per se, but I stumbled over many siderite concretions in Miocene sediments during my wanderings around Graz. These are often featureless, but what I find interesting is their quite varied transformation to limonite, rarely hematite. Maybe I will put something together eventually...

Franz Bernhard