Sanity Crab - Small Tumidocarcinus giganteus

6ix

Was that Sanity Crab or its opposite? ;)

Keeping your mind off other things arranging to drop ship a case of CA glue to your house. :)

You'll work past this and we're still enjoying seeing the progress even with its setbacks.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hmm, you may be overestimating my ability.... I have less than 100 hours under my belt we'll see.  Any advice from anyone appreciated...

2 hours ago, digit said:

Was that Sanity Crab or its opposite? ;)

He never actually said it was to save his sanity.. :zzzzscratchchin:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Assuming there was some to start with..

Unfortunately, I havent been able do do the family easter egg hunt either....  I had a few posts here from previous hunts.. I dont know if I'm allowed to derail my own threads LOL...

Heres my last one before I lost access to the Batch I was staying at I think... there are definately some older ones, I just cant find em...  

Okay, so I went back to give it a gentle nudge....  Man I am a noob.

This is the first really soft crab I have come across, all the others have been shy... but this one - Yikes...  Its catching me out everywhere...

5e9bd5465aad5_20200419_123603(Large).thumb.jpg.6dc51b2ab7b0dc4309261462a34a6785.jpg

Advice wanted... cut losses and continue or glue and learn how to fill the gaps?

If it was me I’d glue the piece back on and keep scribing down to it... but I’m an idjit...

@Randyw

Hmmmm,  just realized there is option 3.... stabilize the broken bit.... grind the heck out of it then, glue it on?

or #4 give it to someone who rocks better than I do...

LOL! Just about anyone here would love for you to do #4 LOL!  But if it was me I’d still glue the broken piece back on then work my way back down to it. Prepping the broken piece while it’s loose makes it easier to damage the fossil. It’s a lot easier to chip the edges of the fossil while it’s loose. by securely gluing it back in place it holds all the pieces  together and stable while you’re working on it. That makes for less “patching” later. I had someone give me a sespia natida Oreodont skull that they had shattered into 5 pieces and that’s the way that worked best for me. But once again that’s just me....

• I found this Informative 2

@6ix I agree with @Randyw. I would glue the broken bit back on. Use some thicker cyanoacrylate and clamp it down. Let it sit for a couple day’s and then go after it with your scribe.

• I found this Informative 1

I'd glue it back together as well.  You'll likely lose all the edges if you prep it separated.

Hey 6ix, its also easy to use 2 part putty to fix any damage.  You can use water based acrylics to hide the putty too.  Good luck

RB

Yes, glue, clamp and then scribe.  Have fun and good luck.  Fossil crabs are definitely a love/hate relationship...ha ha.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, I honestly thought I'd posted an update... but clearly didnt save it.   The glue job wasnt the best, when I started working the crab again one whole side just separated again.  Perhaps I should have prepped each side with acetone or even just washed them but I'm definitely learning.

Then I got critical, and realised my CP710 was blunt, really blunt and there are no more tips available - anywhere so I got grumpy and left it there.  My Birthday rolled around and after getting ripped off by a dodgy internet site I finally purchased a really nice CP 9361 clone as recommended by @mamlambo

Well, the tool makes the difference - its so much finer, its a pleasure to drive and the accuracy is several levels up from what I had.

sanitycrab_2.thumb.jpg.4b1f52ba843279dd0a28918040c7ade1.jpgsanitycrab_1.thumb.jpg.ec5bbf45165507e32783bcdafb7b6524.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

LOL - none of my stories appear to have endings....

Just another hour tidying up... then I'll clean the glue - experiment with some filler and add some paraloid to stabilise.

Its got some wonderful texture... 

5ef5c517c9280_20200626_205341(Large).thumb.jpg.e95d006a401e60e8f35bba430092ac85.jpg5ef5c5155c30e_20200626_205331(Large).thumb.jpg.b28251214c8486230d3ecb76b5f9294b.jpg

Nothin wrong with learning.  Glad you upgraded the airscribe too.  The right tool can make a world of difference.   and your having fun so looking forward to seeing your next project. 

RB

2 hours ago, 6ix said:

LOL - none of my stories appear to have endings....

The best ones never do. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_NeverEnding_Story_(film)

So, the question remains--was this crab prep a net benefit or detriment to your sanity? We all enjoyed watching it take shape over time. Many of us have not taken the plunge to start developing prepping skills. Always nice to watch vicariously and learn about the process. Looking forward to your further projects.

Cheers.

-Ken

Well, digit - apart from quoting one of my favourte childhood movies - (along with Dark Crystal, Labrynth, Ghost butsers, Gremlins etc...) I had to think about answering you...

Sanity,   Here in NZ we are now out of quarantine,  my work is one that got busier over lockdown, so I NEEDED a chance to breathe every day.. I kept forgetting to take breaks so yes, the crab helped UNTIL it ##### me off.  I realised that my tools that I have been using for about three years were snarge.  This new scribe has made me both happy and ##### off I didnt get a better one sooner.

Now that I look at what became of this crab - it needs another hour or so to tidy up the superglue... but I am proud of it now.  Considering the bulk removal was done with a hammer and chisel!

5ef7102963465_20200627_211014(Large).thumb.jpg.fc215339a7b0be374882d71e8ce5763a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I tried to stop the crack line by cutting into it...

But it just exploded.

Its way beyond my ability to fix... if anyone wants a bag of all the bits come & get it.

Shame... at least sanity 1 turned out pretty good. I'd be over the moon to put a crab like that in my collection. :thumbsu: