D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Good morning Dear fossil hunters,

Last summer I was in Ketvergiai quarry, Klaipeda district and crushed one dolomite boulder with hammer. there were many interesting brachiopods, some bivalves and also small gastropod inside. I think the boulder is Permian in age because I found Waagenoconcha like brachiopod shell imprint but the certain age diagnosis would be very helpful. 

The fossils are from 5 mm to 4 cm length. Some brachiopods are quite big but gastropod is the smallest fossil I found here.

Any idea how old is this rock?

Best Regards

Domas   

Waagenoconcha.JPG

eolissochonetes Kunguris.png

heteralosia Kunguris.png

Micraphelia Kunguris.png

Neochonetes Kungurian.png

I wouldn't like to even hazard a guess at the genera, though clearly we have productids and a spiriferid. 

But I thought the rocks at this location were Upper Devonian which would fit the assemblage. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yes Devonian rocks are well known in the Baltic States. 

But the other thing is that these brachiopods look Early Permian to me (I tried to identify genera and the last productid looks like Verchojania from Asselian- Sakmarian of Russia, spiriferid looks like Neospirifer carinatus that is also very well known in Permian of Russia and other Europe). 

But the other question- what geographic origin are these boulders then? 

I would think so- we do not know clearly where the earlier Quarternary glaciations were located and where their cold centers have been located. 

If so, then I think this type of dolomites can be from West Russia (e.g. Northern Ural or somewhere around because West Russian prequarternary surface begins with Devonian and ends with Jurassic... 

The fossils are found not in situ but in boulders that could have various geographic origin. 

this is why i am going to ask everyone about the accurate age of each boulder of this type of rock where I find several or more fossils- the stage or epoch (parts of period) can clearly show all the time range of this erratic kind and it is very needed to me for writing scientific book about Paleozoic fossils from Lithuanian surface because I would like to use the strong facts, ages, genera and etc with confirmation for making strong publication with strongest evidences we all can ever make and detect.

Best Regards

Domas   

A-D, Verchojania archboldi Taboada (2008). A, LIEB-PI 1 (paratype ...

Verchojania genus from Early Permian. Especially picture D shows very similar shape of valve and the relief is almost the same (except the fact that my specimen does not have well visible features of spines, but we know- it is internal imprint and in the internal surface of brachiopod valve the external surface elements are much less visible because all the wrinkles, spines etc are merged there. Verchojania belongs to Levipuslini subfamily (Productellidae family).

Verchojania Azelis- Sakmaris.png

Neospirifer cameratus has long wings in the sides. the fossil is from Russian Late Carboniferous

брахиопода Neospirifer cameratus из Русавкино - верхний карбон ...

neospirifer cameratus Azelis- Sakmaris.png

The back valve of Neospirifer cameratus and my specimen from another boulder (greenish dolomite).

Neospirifer cameratus Morton - 70A

My fossil find from Siauliai district Northern Lithuania.

neospirifer  gzelis- permas.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I wouldn't like to even hazard a guess at the genera, though clearly we have productids and a spiriferid. 

But I thought the rocks at this location were Upper Devonian which would fit the assemblage. 

So we can see that there are some undetected facts about age of Baltic boulders based on the newest photos I shared here.