Some recent Zandmotor finds

Max-fossils

Hey everyone!

Hope everyone's doing alright during this stressful situation!

I haven't been too active on TFF (or with fossils in general) the past few months (mostly due to school work), but with the whole virus situation I suddenly have some more free time. The Netherlands aren't currently under strict quarantine, but schools are closed, and we're firmly recommended to stay at home and forbidden to go out in groups of more than 3. But, luckily fossil hunting is still possible, so after a long winter hiatus I finally went back to the Zandmotor (last time was when I found that mammoth tooth in October!), not once, but twice (Tuesday 17th from 11 to 6, and Sunday 22nd from 2 to 4 about). Nothing very eventful happened during either of the trips, so I'm not gonna make a whole trip report, but just show you some nice location pictures and some of the most interesting or rarer finds.

What I will however mention is that the beach has changed a lot since the last time I was there, especially when considering where certain dunes, elevated parts or shell banks were located. In fact, the change between Tuesday and Sunday was impressive too. Crazy what wind and erosion are capable of!

IMG_9407.JPG

IMG_9410.jpg

IMG_9412.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I love taking pictures of sunsets, and they're always nicer on the beach, so here you guys go :P 

IMG_9413.JPG

IMG_9414.JPG

IMG_9415.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

So, for the finds, before we start, as a quick reminder (or for those who don't see my Zandmotor posts often):

- The shells are from the Eem Formation, in the Eemian stage of the late Pleistocene (130'000 to 115'000 years ago), unless stated otherwise

- The fish material is also most likely also Eemian

- The mammal stuff is usually from the last Ice Age (~ 40'000 years old)

Firstly, a pretty fun find, a Dosinia lupinus with 2 different traces of other lifeforms! The hole on the umbo is from a predatory gastropod (such as Euspira catena), and is probably its cause of death; and the carving on the bottom is a worm boring! I've found both of those types of traces on shells quite regularly before, but never on the same shell, and never on this uncommon species!

IMG_9488.thumb.JPG.5432ce0f1d3249678bd13857735e3163.JPG

And here we have an Ostrea edulis with a very clear sign of bioimmuration --> this oyster grew next to another shell and had to adapt its shape to it!

IMG_9492.thumb.JPG.8425285a38f0aa6b7b1098607022fdbe.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

Here we have my biggest and best Euspira catena to date. It's still incomplete, but these are surprisingly hard to find complete as a fossil, especially at this size, so I'm quite happy with this one anyways. This is the species (along with others in its Naticidae family) responsible for those perfect holes you see in shells quite often (like the Dosinia above). They have some kind of very strong foot that allows them to drill a small hole in the shell of the prey, kill the animal inside, and suck the poor thing out of the shell and eat it. 

IMG_9500.thumb.JPG.658b0b746621b694ef8dc099301004a6.JPG

Here we have an incomplete specimen of the Pliocene Turritella incrassata with a Naticidae hole in it (probably not from Euspira catena but rather from Natica crassa, its Pliocene contemporary). Reworked specimens are not incredibly rare on the Zandmotor, but always fun to find!

IMG_9508.thumb.JPG.8c9c30fcb836fd1f31051325cfba0301.JPG

Talking about reworked Turritellidae, here's a small piece of what seems to be a Turritella solanderi. This species is from the Eocene, so it's definitely cool to find it in such 'young' sediments as the Eemian!

IMG_9510.thumb.JPG.fb039ddaa9037a8a42ad81602017210d.JPG

Max Derème

And another reworked specimen is this incomplete piece of Spinucella tetragona. In Pliocene sediments, where it normally belongs, this species is already quite uncommon, so I was definitely surprised to find this specimen on the Zandmotor! Very unexpected find but definitely welcome, one of my rarest shell finds so far I think :D 

IMG_9514.thumb.JPG.a1f2e7f4a8a54d4a7f0dd968d6f2b702.JPG

Going back to the Eemian, here is a gorgeous Nassarius aff. goreensis I found. The species looks a lot like Nassarius goreensis from West-Africa, but appears distinct enough to be its own species (and it should get its own species name soon, hopefully). 

IMG_9512.thumb.JPG.239aff0fffebc5997086e975eac273ec.JPG

And here we have my first fossil Chamelea striatula (again with a Naticidae drill hole! :P). Its modern counterpart is very common and often sun-bleached to a white color, so I was frustrated to never find a fossil specimen while always picking up modern ones thinking "Ah, finally!" but then discarding the specimen 2 seconds later... but, no more! :D 

IMG_9516.thumb.JPG.5c287527039ba784884a16d4329336df.JPG

Max Derème

The last shell specimen I wanna show is this behemoth here. A Venericor planicosta! This reworked species is rather common in Eocene sediments, but in the Eemian sediments where I found it it's much rarer. Small, very worn fragmentary specimens are found from time to time, but this is my first specimen and it's definitely a really good one for the location, so I'm very proud of this find. ^_^ 

IMG_9462.thumb.JPG.68273dccbabd7c98d66129c8720eea64.JPG

IMG_9463.thumb.JPG.dc83bd55e3ef0c4fae4f539f34af4128.JPG

(Oh, and those little holes all over the shell are sponge borings I believe)

• I found this Informative 3

Max Derème

Onto the vertebrate material (which I know interests a lot more people on the forum)!

First thing we have here is what I believe to be an osteoderm of a sturgeon, but I'm really not sure. It kinda reminds me of a tiny croc osteoderm. I'll post more (and better) pictures in the Fossil ID thread     EDIT: here

IMG_9522.thumb.JPG.53e195c041fee321cb45965eb54971bc.JPG

Here we have the cleithrum of a codfish, Melanogrammus sp. 

IMG_9527.thumb.JPG.d690745c4310c05ae1403907427543c3.JPG

And this here is the post-temporal bone of a fish, maybe also codfish

IMG_9529.thumb.JPG.505ae70b9f323ce80c084af1f0b6d0ea.JPG

Max Derème

Here we have 4 sea bream teeth; I hadn't found any on the Zandmotor before, then suddenly found 4 in one day! Quite weird... Either way, the big one with green coloration is pretty cool I find 

IMG_9531.thumb.JPG.4e8c109ad1c86eccf74171c52be00b4e.JPG

There's also here a partial sea bream jaw. Now what you have probably noticed is that none of the cavities in this little jaw seem to have possibly been able to support teeth of the size of those we see just above. That's because sea breams only have a couple of these teeth on each side of their jaw (and that would have been more to the front of the jaw I believe, so not visible on this partial jaw). These strong teeth are used mostly for crushing shells of mollusks or crabs I think. 

IMG_9533.thumb.JPG.46a47931fd1067247f49aba126e12858.JPG

Max Derème

Next we have a pretty cool ray tooth of I think Myliobatis sp., but I'm not sure if the species was still alive during the Eemian. Then again, it could very well be a Pliocene specimen, and the more I think about it the more I believe that it probably is a Pliocene Myliobatis.

IMG_9536.thumb.JPG.decd1164cc2584ecc6b748e45668ee49.JPG

Now this here is a pretty nice find, it's a jaw of a pike, Esox lucius! You can still clearly see a pointy tooth in the jaw, along with some broken ones. Quite happy with this one!

IMG_9534.thumb.JPG.3690391f3ea1f54e5b6bcc2268e1f1ba.JPG

Max Derème

To wrap up the vertebrates, here are 2 non-fish fossils that I was quite happy to find.

First a piece of turtle shell, and yes, we did have turtles here during the Pleistocene! The piece is very likely Eemian in age, as the temperature was quite a bit warmer then than now (and definitely warmer than during the Ice Ages!), so more suitable for a cold-blooded reptile. These things are rather uncommon, so definitely a fun find :) 

IMG_9538.thumb.JPG.698564d761f09eb003206c1e4e0b0458.JPG

IMG_9539.thumb.JPG.817c2ab43c31f553762665574221ceb3.JPG

And then we have a nice big incisor of a mouse (Arvicolinae). The second picture is a closeup on the chewing surface (not that you do much chewing with an incisor, but you know what I mean :P)

IMG_9540.thumb.JPG.328dd40d735e2c3f93b1cfae20b1a253.JPG

IMG_9542.thumb.JPG.3eede0abc970534607a104479d07330b.JPG

Max Derème

Lastly, another invertebrate find, but not a shell. Here's a cute fossil urchin, and I think that the species Echinocyamus pusillus (but that's coming from a guy with no knowledge whatsoever on urchins lol). 

IMG_9520.thumb.JPG.d3e9b7ad29ba1d63ffd0558a6da24252.JPG

IMG_9521.thumb.JPG.3b24570586002a15edb9760dad7c03d3.JPG

So overall, the past couple hunts have definitely been successful, as some fun finds were made! No big mammal bones or teeth unfortunately, but a nice wealth of other fossils. The diversity of fossils at the Zandmotor continues to impress me each time I'm there! I'm gonna try to go back soon.

Anyways, thanks a lot for staying with me till the end (which means you probably didn't get bored from all of those shells in the beginning)! 

Hope you enjoyed this topic! :D 

Happy hunting,

Max

• I found this Informative 3

Max Derème

10 minutes ago, Monica said:

I love your little urchin, Max - it's adorable! :wub:

Thanks Monica :) 

Max Derème

Nice finds, Max, quite the variety.:)

And some very interesting information added to each find too. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds, Max, quite the variety.:)

And some very interesting information added to each find too. 

Thanks Adam! Diverse finds indeed :) 

I explicitly chose finds on which I had something extra to say in this post; I found a bunch of other shells too but they're not new to my collection (some uncommon species still) and there wasn't much to say about them that I hadn't mentioned earlier. So I'm glad you appreciate this!

Max Derème

Nice report Max! You have great diversity in your finds. Congratulations for being able to get out.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

8 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Here we have 4 sea bream teeth; I hadn't found any on the Zandmotor before, then suddenly found 4 in one day! Quite weird... Either way, the big one with green coloration is pretty cool I find 

IMG_9531.thumb.JPG.4e8c109ad1c86eccf74171c52be00b4e.JPG

I'm curious, how do you tell the difference between a sea bream tooth and a pebble?

Hi,

A picture of the underside of the teeth would help to understand ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

10 hours ago, Darbi said:

I'm curious, how do you tell the difference between a sea bream tooth and a pebble?

Coco jumped ahead of me and already gave the correct answer:

IMG_9532.thumb.JPG.b9425ef707877a62ca46fdcbc0f85f67.JPG

They're round and pebble-like on the chewing surface, but slightly hollow on the underside. The ledge around it is quite distinctive. 

Hope this answers your question well :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

Eh eh !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Coco jumped ahead of me and already gave the correct answer:

IMG_9532.thumb.JPG.b9425ef707877a62ca46fdcbc0f85f67.JPGThey're round and pebble-like on the chewing surface, but slightly hollow on the underside. The ledge around it is quite distinctive. 

Hope this answers your question well :) 

Thank you! By the way, nice finds.

15 minutes ago, Darbi said:

Thank you! By the way, nice finds.

You're welcome, and thanks! :D 

Max Derème

On 3/31/2020 at 9:19 PM, Darktooth said:

Nice report Max! You have great diversity in your finds. Congratulations for being able to get out.:)

Thanks Dave, glad you like it :D 

I'm not sure I deserve congratulations for being outside of the house though :P 

Max Derème