Weird little fish (?) osteoderm

Max-fossils

Hey guys,

Here's a small osteoderm I found recently on the Zandmotor in the Netherlands. I think it's possibly an osteoderm of a sturgeon or some other type of fish, but I'm really unsure. It kinda reminds me of a tiny alligator osteoderm...

Anyone have an idea what it could be? It's probably from marine sediments of the Eem Formation, from the Eemian stage of the late Pleistocene (130'000 to 115'000 years old), but could easily be from the last Ice Age (around 40'000 years old), or older than the Eemian (anywhere in the Neogene is feasible actually, the Zandmotor has quite a bit of reworked fossils). 

Thanks in advance!

Max

IMG_9522.JPG

IMG_9523.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Some closeups. There appears to be some kind of 'hook' in the center...

IMG_9524.JPG

IMG_9525.JPG

IMG_9526.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Just now, Pterygotus said:

Sorry I can’t help with ID but that’s a really nice fossil you have there :).

Hahaha thanks ^_^ 

It was hard to find! I was laying on my stomach in a shell bank when I noticed this tiny little thing about to get blown away by the wind. Caught it just in time.

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

Sometimes when hunting in the Hell Creek or Lance formations I find pieces of gar skull armor. I find this to be somewhat similar, however it's not from a gar if its Pleistocene from the Netherlands. It likely belongs to some other large bony fish.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Sometimes when hunting in the Hell Creek or Lance formations I find pieces of gar skull armor. I find this to be somewhat similar, however it's not from a gar if its Pleistocene from the Netherlands. It likely belongs to some other large bony fish.

Yeah I thought so too, which is why sturgeon came to mind to me. I guess pike is also a possibility. 

Max Derème