Rexofspades

Hi, longtime lurker first time poster here.

I was wondering if you guys can help me ID this concretion my family found years ago near Calvert. I believe it might be a trace fossil of some kind, possibly a burrow or tunnel. I have found similar types at Westmoreland State Park. I can upload pictures from different angles if needed.

Any suggestions of what it could be? 

IMG_20200331_172925133.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Can't recall how far back it was posted, but I seem to remember a post of something similar to this and it was caused by mineral rich spring deposits. 

Not unlike cave roof deposits, but coming up from groundwater below.

• I found this Informative 4

bog iron pipe. some theorize that they start by encrusting tree roots and then grow from there.

Nice specimen! There were nice ones found in the Cretaceous of NJ during road construction a while back. I want to say Rt34 but maybe a local NJ collector can confirm this.

• I found this Informative 3

Take a look here: 

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hmm Interesting,  I thought it might be simply a geological formation, but it's good to see that it might be one of those. I also have a sneaky suspicion that the ones on the lower left of this pic may also be traces of some type of root or burrows

IMG_20200331_163550792.jpg

Your tube is Limonite cemented sand. I have several from relative in Kansas. Also found in England. I believe this from a European discussion as I am not sure now. 

The pipes are of limonite-cemented sand within grey sand of the Parkstone Sand Formation. They are not vertical like those at Redend Point but are subhorizontal with a slight dip. They are all roughly parallel and associated with sheets of limonite-cemented sand. They occur at the brow of a hill where there has been some erosion. Their lateral extent is not known because of lack of exposures elsewhere on the hill and because no trial pits have been dug. The impression given is that they occur within a roughly horizontal stratum almost parallel with the flat top of the hill. The pipes vary in diameter from a about a centimetre up to about 10 centimetres. They are not uniform in size. In some cases two or more pipes seems fused in a parallel manner. Pipes may be complex with several small tubes within them, and cross-partitions may occur. These features are shown in the photographs. It must be stressed the pipes are not initially empty by contain sand. Thus they only appear as true pipes once the sand has been removed by natural processes or scrapped out by humans.

From England. yes I seem to save lot's of images. also called Navajo sandstone and iron concretions. 

11STD-Middlebere-Pipes-Flange-m.jpg

11STD-Pipe-Middlebere-Subhoriz-Cross-m.jpg

11STD-Pipes-Mark-Ordish-m.jpg

11STD-Pipes-Middlebere-Complex-m.jpg

11STD-Pipes-Middlebere-Multiple-m.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Ec

Exellent topic! I like it! Thanks for the onens who posted here.

More inf might be here: 

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

My Nephew lives in north west Kansas, and say's they find the concretions while digging basements. Brings some each trip, home too my wife's brother so they have stacks of them around the yard. I have brought some home.   During my original search a lady replied that they find them in Florida. I have not found any other documentation about them. Hope this helps!