Peace River Still Open! (Not anymore!)

PODIGGER

I was back on the river yesterday. Got to the launch site by 7:30 am and before I could get out of the jeep another person pulled up.  They were going fishing from the bank so no competition.  Loaded the kayak and headed out with the water level down even further.  You can see from the following photos the various levels of the banks being uncovered as the water level drops -

20200331_075842_resized.jpg.abca011a92de6c95eb156283d5926e38.jpg

20200331_075614_resized.jpg.bf0bcfebb3c7e4428e9974fe5bff820b.jpg

In this next photo look at the "water mark" on the trees on the bank to get a sense of how deep the river is during the rainy season.

20200331_075930_resized.thumb.jpg.c70527ef00ef9e44db733f279464638c.jpg

The next photo is out of focus (partially caused by the drifting kayak) but I included it because I like the twisted trunk.  I'll be surprised if the tree survives through the summer.  I think it is going to wind up falling into the river.

20200331_080202_resized.jpg.acec32a86e7ac4143e4f1dc920c236d8.jpg

Those are the photos of the paddle trip to the dig site.  I tried to capture a great blue heron that was leading me down the river.  Every time I got just about close enough to take a picture it flew off and landed a few hundred yards ahead of me.  I never got a reasonable shot of it.

When I got to my spot it was obvious someone had been working the area since my last visit.  With the number of partial meg teeth I had been finding I wanted to keep working the area thinking there must be a full one down there somewhere.  I didn't have any luck with that and there were no really big finds for the day.  I was happy to have a day on the river and did come up with several things that made the trip worth it.  A nicely formed and complete giant tortoise spur was one of my favorites.  Also found a nice tilly bone, partial dolphin periotic, possible claw, possible whale tooth, what I think is a glyptotherium osteoderm, eagle ray barb, a small partial horse tooth, unk fish vert and various other shark teeth.  Picture of the best of the day -

20200401_113758_resized.png.jpeg.4167667c09912a57a5ed89eeb87d809d.jpeg

I will post additional photos of what I think are the claw and whale tooth in the ID section for help.  I have a tough time with the small whale teeth IDs.

I headed back earlier than usual as the old back muscles ain't what they used to be.  I was digging deeper and bending over further to use the sifter with the water so low.  Getting back I was surprised to find at least five other vehicles and several people at the spot I launched from. Never saw more than one other car there before.  As I approached the area I saw slices of bread floating down the river, it looked like somebody dumped a whole loaf in.  Don't know if this was accidental or an attempt to feed some of the wildlife.  Anyway, there were three people fishing from one of the spots folks usually launch at.  I got out at my regular spot and as I did I saw two young girls floating in an inner tube nearby.  After getting out and preparing to leave a family of five emerged from a wooded area north of me carrying all their beach gear.  I guess everyone who can is visiting the river in areas outside of state and county parks and beaches. Even with these folks there it was easy to keep a safe distance from all.  I will head back in a few days, but haven't decided where I will launch from.  I do want to avoid other people as much as I can.

• I found this Informative 4

Governor DeSantis just issued a statewide "stay at home" order for Florida.  So that's it for trips to the river for the next month or so.

• I found this Informative 2

I'm envious that you got out there again. It's been killing me to sit here on my hands when the river just keeps getting lower and lower. I feel a bit guilty bellyaching about that when people are dying from this pandemic. If I lived closer, or on the river itself, I would be out there hunting. I envy those lucky people with access to private riverfront property.

Looks like you did pretty well, especially considering that other hunters had hit your spot. I hate it when that happens.

Hopefully this pandemic turns the corner in the coming month and things improve enough that we can access the river this fall. Even though this lockdown is for 30 days, I have a hunch this problem is going to take longer than that to play out. It's looking like the rest of the 2019-2020 season is shot.

• I found this Informative 1

Think positive Bone Daddy!! We'll get back out there after this virus runs its course and before the summer rains begin.

I say that while respecting all those out there trying to keep us safe and all those suffering from the effects of the virus.  My wife and I are awaiting the results of our daughter's test tomorrow - she is a paramedic and was exposed a few days ago while treating one of her patients.

24 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

My wife and I are awaiting the results of our daughter's test tomorrow - she is a paramedic and was exposed a few days ago while treating one of her patients.

@PODIGGER I wish your daughter the best.  These are serious times and filled with extra stresses.  Both of my daughters are also in positions that have them exposed daily to patients with potential for the virus.  It wears on the mind for sure.  Again, the best for y'all and your daughter.

• I found this Informative 3

17 minutes ago, grandpa said:

@PODIGGER I wish your daughter the best.  These are serious times and filled with extra stresses.  Both of my daughters are also in positions that have them exposed daily to patients with potential for the virus.  It wears on the mind for sure.  Again, the best for y'all and your daughter.

Praying for your Daughter!!! everyone is being effected. My son just said the job he was on in LA, he travels the world as a turbine engineer . was shut down, he is at home now quarantined 

Deb

16 hours ago, PODIGGER said:

Governor DeSantis just issued a statewide "stay at home" order for Florida.  So that's it for trips to the river for the next month or so.

Aren't you still allowed outdoor activities like fishing and boating? Here in North Carolina we have a stay at home order but it has exceptions for outdoor activity as long as you keep your distance from others. Several State Parks are closed as well as some boat ramps but most are still open for use.

Grandpa and White Feather, thank you for your concern and support.  I pray for your families as well.

AL Dente - Our state parks are closed as well as local boat ramps.  If the river was in walking distance I would still be able to go for outdoor exercise. Unfortunately, it is about a 50 mile drive that takes me through two and sometimes three different counties to get there.  While I could most likely get away with it if I continued to go I don't believe it is the right thing to be doing at this point.  I'll get back out there as soon as the order is lifted.

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Aren't you still allowed outdoor activities like fishing and boating? Here in North Carolina we have a stay at home order but it has exceptions for outdoor activity as long as you keep your distance from others. Several State Parks are closed as well as some boat ramps but most are still open for use.

We haven't those specifics yet. Part of this was the result of spring breakers at the beaches, so I've heard beaches in some counties were closed before this shutdown. Boat ramps had been closed in Palm Beach County last week. Need clarification since many of our access points are on rural roads, not parks or boat ramps so we could get out without any interaction with others. 

1 hour ago, Sacha said:

We haven't those specifics yet. Part of this was the result of spring breakers at the beaches, so I've heard beaches in some counties were closed before this shutdown. Boat ramps had been closed in Palm Beach County last week. Need clarification since many of our access points are on rural roads, not parks or boat ramps so we could get out without any interaction with others. 

There is a causeway bridge to Sanibel Island with chain link fences blocking access to parking and the beaches. All beach parking and access are blocked on Sanibel. The Governor has left more severe restrictions to the local communities with encouragement for such restrictions wherever there are obvious violations.

Boating is still allowed and there are many who take advantage of that... however there are severe restrictions on distances between boats and number of individuals on a boat. 

Due to closings, all are being reintroduced to their close family members on a 24x7 basis. That is likely not a pleasant experience for all involved.

Everyone seems to have their own definitions of what is correct and incorrect behaviors. I have been hunting solo in very remote areas lately, both because it fits my own definition and because it seems to fit the desires of normal hunting companions.  I attempt to be as non judgemental as possible. Wishing sanity and safety to my fossil friends.

• I found this Informative 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I was looking for the fine print of the legislation following the "stay at home" order and this is what I've managed to find. Seems to me like it is completely reasonable to be out looking for fossils, as long as you are maintaining your social distancing procedures. 

image.png.2877d61bec69ec6ff0b7886dad26aec7.png

Edited by CplCoprolite
typo*

5 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Due to closings, all are being reintroduced to their close family members on a 24x7 basis. That is likely not a pleasant experience for all involved.

I have read that the divorce rate has spiked during the "lock-down". 

On (what I consider to be) a related note, in the state of Texas at least, liquor stores are considered ESSENTIAL businesses that are allowed to stay open during the lock-down.

Not sure how to tie this to hunting the Peace River.  But it sure is an interesting cultural/anthropological set of facts, right?

divorce rate cant be spiking, because almost every courthouse is locked down except for emergency cases, so the lawyers cant file the paperwork and there are no hearings for judges to issue the decree.

Which has REALLY put a fiscal dent in my life.  My part time job is a process server.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

One can easily argue that fossil hunting is not prohibited and I agree.  As I said on an earlier post, if I didn't have to drive 50 miles to get there I would continue the hunt. For now I'll take a break and stay closer to home.

We have the specifics of the Florida restrictions and they sound similar to South Carolina's. They are as follows.

Section 3.        Essential Activities

1. For purposes of this Order and the conduct it limits, “essential activities” means and encompasses the following:
  2. Attending religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship; and
  3. Participating in recreational activities (consistent with social distancing guidelines) such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, running, or swimming; and
  4. Taking care of pets; and
  5. Caring for or otherwise assisting a loved one or friend.
  6. Other essential activities may be added to this list with the approval of the State Coordinating Officer, in close coordination with the State Health Officer. The State Coordinating Officer shall maintain an online list of essential activities, as specified in this Order along with any approved additions.
  7. A social gathering in a public space is not an essential activity.  Local jurisdictions shall ensure that groups of people greater than ten are not permitted to congregate in any public space.
  • I found this Informative 2

OMG!!

2 hours ago, Sacha said:

Attending religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship; and

Unbelievable! :shakehead: (no pun indented)

There are absolutely no religious services in Austria any more since nearly 3 weeks. Strictly forbidden!

2 hours ago, Sacha said:

Participating in recreational activities (consistent with social distancing guidelines) such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, running, or swimming; and

Not strictly forbidden, but strongly recommended not doing this. Think about accidents!

2 hours ago, Sacha said:

Caring for or otherwise assisting a loved one or friend.

This can be everything! Only allowed, if absolutely necessary here in Austria.

Hope, you all stay safe and healthy anyways!
Franz Bernhard

7 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

OMG!!

There are absolutely no religious services in Austria any more since nearly 3 weeks. Strictly forbidden!

Not strictly forbidden, but strongly recommended not doing this. Think about accidents!

This can be everything! Only allowed, if absolutely necessary here in Austria.

Hope, you all stay safe and healthy anyways!
Franz Bernhard

Florida is once again demonstrating to the world why "Florida Man" is a thing.

2 hours ago, Sacha said:
  •  
  • Attending religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship; 
  • A social gathering in a public space is not an essential activity.  Local jurisdictions shall ensure that groups of people greater than ten are not permitted to congregate in any public space. 

Are these not contradictory statements?? I have never been to church and saw less than 10 parishioners. And church is a social gathering. My son coincidentally works as a "Disaster Resiliency" agent in the State of Florida. All experts in the field agree on proper rules to follow. But it is the POLITICS that keeps the system from working properly. Needless to say, he is very frustrated. Hopefully church leaders will be smarter than the government body and avoid congregations greater than 10 and hold off on services.  

Mike

19 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

divorce rate cant be spiking, because almost every courthouse is locked down except for emergency cases, so the lawyers cant file the paperwork and there are no hearings for judges to issue the decree.

Which has REALLY put a fiscal dent in my life.  My part time job is a process server.

@hadrosauridae So sorry to hear about the impact to you from COVID-19.

Regarding increase in divorce rate, I should have been more specific.  This trend is being reported in China and in the UK and is being predicted to follow suit in the US over the coming months.  For further details, just search "divorce rate COVID-19" and you will find a number of articles covering the topic.

21 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

2 hours ago, Sacha said:

Attending religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship; and

This is another interesting cultural insight.  Think about the implied difference in the two cultures (Austria and US). 

One believes that any close gathering of folks presents undue risk of spreading the disease, regardless of the purpose of the gathering.

The other thinks it is reasonable to suspend this concern of spreading the disease and allow folks (generally largely 65 and older) to gather together for religious purposes.

Interesting how the two nations take different approaches to the same cultural event!  I find these two starkly different approaches absolutely fascinating, both in fact and in implication.

1 minute ago, grandpa said:

@hadrosauridae So sorry to hear about the impact to you from COVID-19.

Regarding increase in divorce rate, I should have been more specific.  This trend is being reported in China and in the UK and is being predicted to follow suit in the US over the coming months.  For further details, just search "divorce rate COVID-19" and you will find a number of articles covering the topic.

This is another interesting cultural insight.  Think about the implied difference in the two cultures (Austria and US). 

One believes that any close gathering of folks presents undue risk of spreading the disease, regardless of the purpose of the gathering.

The other thinks it is reasonable to suspend this concern of spreading the disease and allow folks (generally largely 65 and older) to gather together for religious purposes.

Interesting how the two nations take different approaches to the same cultural event!  I find these two starkly different approaches absolutely fascinating, both in fact and in implication.

Ah, I see what you are saying now, and yes, once things begin to open back up, there could likely be a flood of cases.  I can't complain too much, I still have my primary career as a firefighter/emt so I'm not out of work nor suffering as many are.  

I also find the variations in states' approach interesting.  I dont think we can ignore the fact that Austria has one of the lowest mortality rates from this pandemic, so they're actions seem to be working.  Although I am shocked Florida is still allowing unrestricted church gatherings.  Oklahoma has closed church services and many have switched to online video sermons or "drive-in" style services.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Florida Governor Desantis has stated he hopes religious leaders will abide by the guidelines and not hold regular services.  He did this while specifically making the point that the US Constitution bars the government from interfering with an individuals right to practice their religion.

2 hours ago, grandpa said:

cultural event!

It very simple here: Every cultural event is forbidden at the moment!

However, only yesterday authorities realized that the "Osterfeuer = Easter fire" (profan ritus) should also be completely forbidden this year. And they are forbidden now already! Very good!! You are even not allowed to burn your Easter fire alone, because of general risk of fire and injury and hence the possible absorbtion of fire brigade, risk of unwanted social contact etc.

Yes, very sad at the moment! But authorities are already thinking about the time after Easter. How to start over again! Carefully, slowly! Maybe with a tracking system, surely everybody with a mask to prevent spreading. But it seems doable at the moment. Everything depends on our behavior during the next 10 days. Infection rate should not higher than recovery rate any more.

Keep safe and healthy!

Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Austria has one of the lowest mortality rates

That´s a totally different story. Germany has an even lower rate (%) than Austria. For example, Turkey is also very low - ?

However, Netherlands and Belgium have quite high rates (%). It does not make sense to me at the moment. Does it do you?;)

Btw, USA does also quite well!

Excerpts from today´s (04/03/2020 local newspaper:

Corona_b.thumb.jpg.c397f46a85c53e6524cc1cb2e6b5b884.jpg

Todays first page, translation not really necessary. At the moment we are following the "Hoffnungszenario":

Corona_a.thumb.jpg.fef97ed9a6c275d589dd39a5e3d060c5.jpg

2 hours ago, PODIGGER said:

individuals right

Everybody is still allowed to pray alone or with his family (as long as they life together) :).

Franz Bernhard

hadrosauridae, I agree with your evaluation of the numbers and reporting.  Even working with the numbers available projections are now showing a mortality rate of less than 1% in the USA.  We just need to hold to the recommendations on how best to protect ourselves until this virus runs its course.  Stay Safe.

Friends, I am going to repeat what asked on another thread.

I know this is hard for all of us...some very much more than others.  Let us try to avoid wandering too far into the negative aspects, statistics, reports, etc. of our situation.  We are all bombarded with enough of that news elsewhere.  I understand members are trying to be helpful.  Let's try to be positively, informative relative to the subject of the topic. 

I think "islands of intelligent distraction" are probably healthy for all of us during this event.  I hope TFF can continue to be one of those "islands".

I know my words cannot change things (or we would all be better ), but I do hope all our families and friends fare well in this crisis.  

Take care and good hunting when you can.  

• I found this Informative 10

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ