ThePhysicist

Hey y'all. I've had this therapod tooth for a while, and I'm wondering if an id can be placed on it. It's completely shattered unfortunately, so I don't expect an id to be easy. It's from the Hell Creek formation. It was labeled as T. rex, but I'm not convinced. Though, I've very little knowledge of dinosaur teeth. I've attached various photos of the tooth in question, and some reference serrations from a probable rex.

Thank you!

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_5791.jpg

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

The base view is the best opportunity to determine what it is on this size tooth.  Although not 100% conclusive would lean toward Trex.  Serration density is not a good guide on this size tooth.

FYI. Theropod is spelled without an "a"

• I found this Informative 2

13 minutes ago, jpc said:

Hmmmm.... it is incerdibly b lack for Hell Creek.   

Good point 

@ThePhysicistDo you have a locality where this was found...State/County

@Troodon, I unfortunately cannot confirm a more precise locality. I also would retract my claim that it's from Hell Creek as I cannot find any supporting documents, so the best I can say is that it was found in the USA.

Thanks for the spell check. :DOH:

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Thanks for your help!