Mammoth Tooth? Horn Coral? Something Else?

Sinosauropteryx prima

Hello all. This is my first post.

Today I was fossil hunting on a small beach area off the side of a road, where there are a TON of rocks. I found quite a few great finds, and this one was my largest. I'm not an expert by any means, and at first I thought this was some kind of horn coral. I posted a photo on Reddit, and one person thought it may have been a trilobite. I didn't think this was very likely, but now that it's been brought up I can kind of see it. The other suggestion was a woolly mammoth tooth (Mammuthus primigenius). This fossil was found on a small beach in western Michigan.

I included a photo of the back of the rock since it was suggested to get it from all angles, though there was nothing special on the back so that's why one of the photos just looks like a normal old rock. :ighappy:

If anyone can confirm any of my three answers, or give another option entirely, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3102.jpg

Yes, solitary rugose 'horn' coral. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Water worn rugosa coral likely. 

Mike

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, solitary rugose 'horn' coral. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

2 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

I agree with horn coral.  No mammoth characteristics I can see.

Thank you guys! At least that means I was correct the first time. :-) And thank you for the welcome, Tidgy's Dad :-)

• I found this Informative 1

38 minutes ago, Sinosauropteryx prima said:

Thank you guys! At least that means I was correct the first time. :-) And thank you for the welcome, Tidgy's Dad :-)

Welcome to the forum -- remember that cliche that states that your first impression is usually correct? So, if I seem crazy, wait, no not that . . . 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!