I found this matrix containing something that reminds me of the fossilized fish tooth pictures that I have seen around on here. When I noticed this, I chipped this matrix section off of a larger shell hash plate containing mostly Turritella sp. and bivalves. Its original location is in Ellsworth county, Kansas at Kanopolis reservoir. Age of this matrix is Albian and it is from Kiowa formation-Longford Member. Length of this 'tooth' is about .25 inches/6.5 mm. Can anyone identify what it is?

It is currently soaking in a bowl of water, I hope to remove more of the matrix off to get a better look at it. Do you have any advice/tips on how to do it without breaking the 'tooth'? As you can see it, it's very small and I have nearly no experience in prepping the fossils beyond the washing and brushing with toothbrush.

20200402_195015.jpg

2020-04-02-195528.png

• I found this Informative 1

I would leave it attached to the matrix.

Not only will it provide a stable base to protect the fossil, but fossils on matrix display nicely and look pretty darn cool.

Just clear enough around it to expose the tooth then consolidate the matrix.

I'm a big fan of matrix pieces!

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 4/5/2020 at 12:48 PM, MrBones said:

I'm no expert, but I think it might be a fish scale.

You mean such as dermal denticles from rays and skates? I thought it might be.

Reminds me a little bit of barracuda ,  not that it is barracuda, but a lot of fish has short spikey teeth in the ancient oceans of Kansas. I do not think it is actually cuda, because cuda has a distinctive shape obvious to experienced Florida fossil hunters, but there were a lot of other Eocene fish to qualify

TFFCuda.JPG.65d3f25919023199573e8c4e86ccc6db.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"