weird looking (Lino)productus

blackmoth

the incomplete ventral valve is rather large, about 5cm wide and 8  cm longe,  convext,  sulcus deep and thin for productus type.

It has a kind of  triangle shape, with  the beak  broken and bent down. The beak itself actually look like a normal shaped productus, with

costae and concentric lines at right angles forming a grid like network.

The concentric lines are missing in other part of the shell, though the tubercles seem to be scatterd every where.

I have never seem any thibk like this. Could it just be a drastically deformed productus of some kind, or some individual that got some abnormal

growth in its life?

微信图片_20200403145643.jpg

微信图片_20200403145711.jpg

微信图片_20200403145841.jpg

Hi,

What do you mean by "Productus"? I don’t know what it is. Naming a fossil without its genus is useless. Do you know how many genera have as species "productus" ? We never mention a fossil by its latin species name alone ;)

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Linoproductus is the genus of the brachiopod .

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Isn't 'Productus' a brachiopod genus name? (Like Linoproductus)

In this case, it must be written "Productus".

Coco

4 hours ago, blackmoth said:

...sulcus deep and thin for productus type.

:headscratch:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, westcoast said:

I don't see anything particularly unusual about this brachiopod...

I’m not seeing anything too wild about this either, but... I think more in focus pictures outside of the plastic container may help.

It’s hard to see the details you mentioned with reflections and scratches on the plastic obscuring the view. :unsure:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, westcoast said:

I don't see anything particularly unusual about this brachiopod...

What genus could it belong to? The common Productus type I see from the site (Taiyuan Formation, Shanxi Province) usually have a more or less spherical shape with shallow sulcus. like this one.

9b1e3096281a1240c15a793985098a7.jpg

4 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

What do you mean by "Productus"? I don’t know what it is. Naming a fossil without its genus is useless. Do you know how many genera have as species "productus" ? We never mention a fossil by its latin species name alone ;)

Coco

Sorry I am not well trained on fossil jargons. The brachiopods in the site mostly fall into one of the two broad "types" (Productus or Spririfer) , I guess they are two orders (or suborder)

so the right term may be  Productinida .

15 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

I’m not seeing anything too wild about this either, but... I think more in focus pictures outside of the plastic container may help.

It’s hard to see the details you mentioned with reflections and scratches on the plastic obscuring the view. :unsure:

I could not get a better pic as a large depth of focus is needed for a 3D object. Here is sketch.

e99b6d632cf44720273827b6c1f852b.jpg

The ornament looks too coarse for Linoproductus in my opinion. Here in Texas there are many genera of similar "Productid" type brachiopods often all in the same formation. I suggest doing some research and seeing if you can find a list of known species from that area.

12 hours ago, Coco said:

In this case, it must be written "Productus".

I understood "(Lino)productus" to be shorthand for "Productus or Linoproductus", and since this is not a scientific paper, it's OK in my mind.