A New Carboniferous Trace Fossil Site

Rockin' Ric

Hello, Y'all! Last Saturday was a great and a gorgeous day because it's one of those times I had the day off and took full advantage of it...I had to get out of my home into the great outdoors! The morning was filled with fossil hunting, I will post the story about that later. After lunch it was more fossil hunting but at a new locale. It's great to have friends who aren't fossil hunters that will see a potential site and call you and say, 'hey you need to check out this area there may be fossils there!' After the morning fossil hunt we go check this area out and it didn't disappoint even though I didn't have any of these type fossil in my collection. I have only seen these fossils in pictures found at the premier site I just visited! They were everywhere at the base of the high wall, I couldn't believe it. There was so much ground to cover, we were tired and daylight was about to end the day. We took what we found and headed home keeping in mind this place needs to be explored entirely which we weren't able to do today but on a future return trip! The trace fossils are identified as Arborichnus Repetita, a limulid/horseshoe crab of the Carboniferous Mississippian Period but not sure of the formation? The last picture of a trace is called Kouphichnium.

Exit70South.jpg

Arborichnus1.jpg

Arborichnus2.jpg

Arb1.jpg

Arb2.jpg

Arb3.jpg

Arb4.jpg

Arb5.jpg

Arb6.jpg

Arc7.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Awesome! :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...