BudB

NSR, April 3rd

BudB
Posted (edited)

I made a trip to the NSR today and had a blast. Let me say up front that I am a rank beginner, and this was my first real fossil hunting trip, unless you count a visit to Mineral Wells Fossil Park with a bucket a few weeks ago. It was a dark day, but I was afraid if I waited, the next round of rain would have the river too high. I found some cool stuff. I'll be starting a thread in the ID forum for help identifying things. I'd especially like to know about the femur and tooth I found, so if any NSR experts can help out, I'd appreciate it. Some random thoughts on today's trip:

1. NSR is one of the coolest places I've ever been. I get why it's so liked and popular. I'm going to visit it as many times as I can this year before it's a lake.

2. Those steps were made for someone who's 6'6". Lets see a show of hands of who can traverse them making steps like regular steps. I could to it, but I had to shift my (full) pants pocket to one side to make such a giant step. And they end before the river bottom. Getting up that muddy bank on a rainy day to get to the first step is no small task.

3. I would have liked to hike much further up the river than I did, but with more rain expected, it seemed prudent to not wander more than a mile from the bridge. I was happy I was still able to find cool stuff, even without a long hike.

4. It got cold! My forecast in Gun Barrel City didn't call for anything lower than 60 degrees today, and it was 60 something when I arrived, but I noticed it kept getting colder, and by the time I got back to my van at 12:45, it was 44 degrees. That's too cold for wading a river!

5. I brought home more insignificant stuff than I should have. Is that a beginner thing?

6. I'm an old guy (69 on Sunday), but fit (still average 100 miles a week on a bicycle, and have for many years). Fit or not, I'm too old to be making trips like this by myself. So, I'd enjoy joining someone else who's going to NSR. I don't mind separating and searching on my own in the river, just take a moment before you leave to make sure I haven't fallen and broken a hip.

7. If I find something bigger than this, I'm going to need a bigger bag.

]LEtwCM1.jpg

Edited by BudB
Changed photo link to imgur

BudB
Posted (edited)

Lots of petrified wood to be found.

TAiusa6.jpg

Lots of different kinds of shells.

3MVaHPY.jpg

Not the kind of tooth I was looking for, but I still thought it was cool.

nFdmM3h.jpg

The femur wasn't the only bone I found.

Fla2PLC.jpg

This bark wasn't petrified, but it had obviously been there a long time. Look at the stuff attached.

hOACBUB.jpg

Edited by BudB
Changed photo links to imgur

hadrosauridae

I think somethings wrong, I cant see any of the pics.

BudB

Google photo links don't work here, I guess. I uploaded to imgur. In the future, I'll attach here.

Mark Kmiecik
On 4/3/2020 at 7:27 PM, BudB said:

Google photo links don't work here, I guess. I uploaded to imgur. In the future, I'll attach here.

Uploading jpeg images directly to your post is good practice. If you want to know why just look at a few of the early posts in the ID section. You would like to see what the person found, but the photo link is to a location that no longer exists. It's frustrating and you don't learn much from the post. Doubly so if a positive ID has been made of something rare but you have no idea of how it looks.