Hi, my name is Tim and I'm an Oreodontoholic

ParkerPaleo

For those who know my love of the White River, there will be no surprise here.  I was trying to reorganize my collection a bit and had a large portion laid out on the floor.

DSC00443.thumb.JPG.bfd5833ac63f6ce84296c17b304d5494.JPG

In this photo, I counted roughly 37 Oreodont skulls, I'm wondering if I have a problem.  Adding a few additional ones I know of on my prep bench and at other properties, I'm fairly sure I'm north of 50.  What fossils do you all collect too many of?  If there is such a thing.DSC00444.thumb.JPG.41974a9c51864fc5e722951082962a54.JPG

DSC00447.JPG

DSC00450.JPG

DSC00454.JPG

DSC00446.JPG

DSC00451.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

Yes, yes you are an oreodontaholic. But there is a cure! Box them all up and send them to me and I’ll send you the cure!:P

( and I thought it was bad that I had 13 currently, am negotiating for 2 more, and thinking about trying to get even more!)

• I found this Informative 2

I think the biggest problem when they are unorganized is you can't see them all at once.  

For instance, there are 3 horses in the pile.  I knew I had them, but finding them in 3 different boxes was all but impossible.  When they are all together, its much easier to control.

It's scary to think of how many of them are half prepped too.  I see a lifetime or two of work here.

I think I have a brachiopod fixation. 

I have more than I can count. (ie. somewhat more than 10) 

And you're right, one can't possibly have too many. :D

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

51 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

have more than I can count. (ie. somewhat more than 10) 

I can count to 19 if I take my shoes off...

2 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

What fossils do you all collect too many of?  If there is such a thing.

In answer to your question - no, no I don't think so, no I don't believe so, NO there is no such thing.  Wonderful collection.  Are some of your skulls juvenile or infant? 

12 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

In answer to your question - no, no I don't think so, no I don't believe so, NO there is no such thing.  Wonderful collection.  Are some of your skulls juvenile or infant? 

I do have some infant/juvenile material.  It's fairly fragmentary.  Are you studying or looking for something in particular with them?

47 minutes ago, ParkerPaleo said:

I do have some infant/juvenile material.  It's fairly fragmentary.  Are you studying or looking for something in particular with them?

Just wondering, because some of the skulls (one on plate) look infant.  All I have is some eye sockets, some teeth and bones. 

Parker you have a wonderful cat, what more could you want?!  :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

:heartylaugh:All those beautiful Oreodonts and caldigger goes for the cat! I had to look again to see what he was talking about! :P

When you live alone, fossils dont always make the best snugglers. :unsure:

So do you display these things or just have wall to wall boxes?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Parker you have a wonderful cat, what more could you want?!  :thumbsu:

I have two cats, named Dinaelurus and Miracinonyx.  They keep me on my toes.

31 minutes ago, caldigger said:

When you live alone, fossils dont always make the best snugglers. :unsure:

So do you display these things or just have wall to wall boxes?

Display cases are in the planning stages still.  Just getting the collection to the house here first.

2 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Just wondering, because some of the skulls (one on plate) look infant.  All I have is some eye sockets, some teeth and bones. 

A bit closer up for you.  I do have some infant/fetal material but it is pretty scrappy like your description.  I'm not sure how fast they grow after birth but this is probably double the size of my smallest material.  The molars are already starting to come in and the milk teeth are gone.  Someday I'll clean it up a bit more, this is how it arrived to the collection.

DSC00457.JPG

10 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

A bit closer up for you.  I do have some infant/fetal material but it is pretty scrappy like your description.  I'm not sure how fast they grow after birth but this is probably double the size of my smallest material.  The molars are already starting to come in and the milk teeth are gone.  Someday I'll clean it up a bit more, this is how it arrived to the collection.

Definitely a nice specimen.  I would have to tidy it up just a bit and display it.  It's not too often you see one this small and nice! 

PS:  My cats do exactly the same thing as yours...…  They have to be right in the middle of anything I'm doing - to supervise I guess.