Anyone have a good guess on these teeth?

Cosmic_Cuttlefish

These two fossils I picked up a few years back from Breezy Point Beach MD. I have a good handful of toothed whale/dolphin teeth from that particular beach, but the main thing that sets these two apart from the others is how big they are. I was wondering if they might possibly be from something other than a porpoise. The left one has a clear sign of it being broken, I tried to get a better image of the split in the third image.

I understand if they're too damaged to get any definite identifications considering how broken they are. but if anyone has a good hunch I'd absolutely appreciate it. :)

IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4876.png

They look like some kind of dolphin tooth but I’m unsure of the species.

Maybe another member can add!

Nice teeth

17 hours ago, Cosmic_Cuttlefish said:

These two fossils I picked up a few years back from Breezy Point Beach MD. I have a good handful of toothed whale/dolphin teeth from that particular beach, but the main thing that sets these two apart from the others is how big they are. I was wondering if they might possibly be from something other than a porpoise.

GOOD handle and avatar.  Welcome to the fossil forum. It is friendly and a great place for learning about our hobby. I am retired and live in Florida. I hunt all the time, I am addicted to fossils and marine mammal is one of my favorites. After 12 years , I know a little, but not nearly enough.

You being in Maryland and me in Florida means we should share some but not all, types of whale/dolphin teeth.  Whale teeth consists of Dentine, Cementum, enamel.  When they break the inner core of dentine with its growth rings is exposed. There are likely exceptions, but my working assumption is that you find those growth rings, you have whale, otherwise not.

WhaleToothComposition.JPG.d4b4fe2677c2411be139e3830374b719.JPG

Florida Whale teeth: These are slightly less than 4 inches long. Cementum, Dentine, enamel tips. In many of our whale teeth, there seems to be no enamel.

IMG_0895.jpg.025fde5ff29599a71f6676d8a5233170.jpg

So, in general whale teeth are large and have horizontal banding.

Dolphin are generally smaller, sometimes tiny, with no dentine growth rings. Here are some of the largest dolphins from Florida/Georgia area courtesy of Harry Pristis.

DolphinTeethFlorida.jpg.51f4a6f9ca721dd9752709eb1040f021.jpg

Here are some large ones from Florida. The top one is a broken 1.6 inch dolphin tooth.1point6inch.JPG.96ff079738d8183a363eb70f13f7c81b.JPG2019May12th.JPG.eaf8fe8721d5a155d87464ed39a9af8d.JPGJeffDolphin.thumb.jpg.00b0be945451e4d066887c3476d9781d.jpg

So, lets take a look at your teeth. Broken is good.  Do you have banding or not? I think -- YES!!!  Whale...2015June13thPeace.jpg.f3deed2cc7bccd3df3a0ac0ad1a4d4c4.jpg

TffWhale.JPG.f6fbbb72056ce831bfd3ad19a213fd78.JPG

Another photo from @Harry Pristis.  Could your right tooth be the broken tip of the tooth on the right below?

5e89de598d74f_post-42-0336775001288896879.jpg.21938cac63e13d8d834c134941adf886.jpg

I love whale.  Jack

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Another photo from @Harry Pristis.  Could your right tooth be the broken tip of the tooth on the right below?

Is your question addressed to me, Jack?  If so, I don't understand the references.

Interestingly, I examined the roots of the kentriodontids which you posted above, and I could detect no growth rings, none!  I looked under magnification and a bright light where the cementum was separated from the dentine for the length of the tooth root (not visible in the image).  I don't know what to make of that.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

27 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Is your question addressed to me, Jack?  If so, I don't understand the references.

Interestingly, I examined the roots of the kentriodontids which you posted above, and I could detect no growth rings, none!  I looked under magnification and a bright light where the cementum was separated from the dentine for the length of the tooth root (not visible in the image).  I don't know what to make of that.

Harry,

Thanks for your response.  You always add insight, whereas, unintentionally, I sometimes add confusion. I was attempting to answer Cosmic_Cuttlefish question

23 hours ago, Cosmic_Cuttlefish said:

I have a good handful of toothed whale/dolphin teeth from that particular beach, but the main thing that sets these two apart from the others is how big they are. I was wondering if they might possibly be from something other than a porpoise. The left one has a clear sign of it being broken, I tried to get a better image of the split in the third image.

First, I wanted to point out characteristics of Dentine growth bands as a telltale for whale; next show that not all dolphins are tiny.  that chart of yours on kentriodontids is best for that purpose, and I always want to credit your creation; Thanks also for your examination and reporting of results on the kentriodontids. It reinforces my finding in all of my dolphin teeth. It is why I say that Dentine growth rings are a key characteristic of whale teeth.

I am highly motivated because I recently found this tooth in a Blancan site. 2.25 x .25 inches.  Amazing. I have never seen a whole whale tooth this width. I am longing to find anyone else who has a similar tooth from the east coast of the US.  Can it be Kogiopsis?                   

WhaleMerge.thumb.jpg.150cdff5e266dc143f22ca42e7ec6532.jpg

ThinWhaleTooth.png.2d4f448d7a154da1e9263916697bb554.png

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow, thank you so much @Shellseeker for your images and explanations! These are some of my favorite teeth in my collection and I learned a lot with the responses here! <3

33 minutes ago, Cosmic_Cuttlefish said:

Wow, thank you so much @Shellseeker for your images and explanations! These are some of my favorite teeth in my collection and I learned a lot with the responses here! <3

Thank you for the complement. That's one of my roles.