Help! Paleo Professional Interview Needed!

Spoons

Hey Everyone! I've really come to appreciate all the help and support that this community offers. I feel privileged to live in a time and place where it is so easy to stay connected with others who share interest in our pursuit to uncover the mystery of deep time. I suppose that I should start off by introducing myself in case you haven't had the pleasure yet. So. Here goes:

Hi! My name is Nicholas Perlenfein.

I’m a student at College of the Redwoods currently pursuing an AST in Geology. I have an intense interest in studying fossils the genesis of which lies very early in the most dormant memories of my childhood. I hope one day to become a paleontologist or maybe a fossil preparator.   

I’m currently enrolled in my colleges English 1A course and have been assigned to conduct primary research in the form of a recorded interview regarding the discourse within my desired carrier and major. We are directed to schedule an interview with a professional in a relevant field and ask them about how peers within the profession choose to communicate and what ethics are held by the community at large. I felt that someone on TTF must work at a natural history museum, or knows someone they can put me into contact with, or at the very least, point me in the right direction?

I understand that during these difficult times that people are very busy, I know for a fact that my schedule has been greatly disrupted. As stated before, I am looking to conduct an online interview, we can do Skype, zoom etc.  of about 30 to 45 minutes that I can record in order to refer back to whilst writing my essay. Its crucial i be able to record the interview so, if you're not comfortable with that, although I would be thrilled to talk to you, I sadly won't be able to use our conversation for this assignment.

I just want to thank everyone reading this one more time for making me feel so welcome in the community. I look forward to your replies.

-Nick

• I found this Informative 6

Too imply some sort of effort on my part I’ve already taken the liberty to contact my local Natural History Museum as well as on Monday I’m going to attempt to call the Grand Stair Case Escelente National Monument visitor center in Kanab, UT. I was hoping Merle Graffman still worked there but I was told he retired 2 years ago, instead hopefully I’ll contact Dr. Alan Titus.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone just wanted to add an update that I have completed my interview at this point. 

I was able to interview Paul Meyer, the Invertebrate Paleontology Collections Manager at the Chicago Field Museum. He is responsible for the management of over 2 million specimens, that’s a lot of rocks! He’s also an expert in Silurian reefs and was one of the co-authors of the 2016 paper  “The “Tully Monster” is a Vertebrate”  published in Nature.

I feel we had a nice interview despite my nervousness. :rolleyes:

If anyone is interested I’ll post my paper here when I’m finished.

Id just like to again thank everyone who was kind enough to provide me support in this venture during these trying times.

-Nick

• I found this Informative 2

Ooooops forgot to add that the field museum is currently working on an exhibit about the Jurassic coast of Yorkshire. I encourage all of you in the area to check it out once the pandemic is over.

Sounds like they’ll have an IMPRESSIVE centerpiece.

9 hours ago, Spoons said:

If anyone is interested I’ll post my paper here when I’m finished.

I am sure many of us would enjoy reading it!! 

Mike

6 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I am sure many of us would enjoy reading it!! 

Mike

I’ll be sure to link a copy here for you all to read once I’m done.