Fossil ID Requested *Solved, Tylostoma tumidum*

tylergile

Good Afternoon Y'all! Took the pup out to one of my favorite spots this morning and came across this odd ball. Never seen anything like it. It was in a part of the creek that had been washed out from all the rain yesterday. No markings on it or shell impressions. In the same area i come across mostly those bottle cap looking shells and a nice little bit of coral if that helps. Found in Austin, TX down near the pleasant valley bridge on the east side. Thanks for the help!

IMG-2262.jpg

IMG-2267.jpg

IMG-2269.jpg

IMG-2272.jpg

IMG-2273.jpg

Edited by tylergile
Solved, added name of gastropod

Awesome!!! Thank you, never found something like this, I'm stoked!

1 minute ago, erose said:

Gastropod steinkern. Internal cast of a marine snail. 

25 minutes ago, tylergile said:

Awesome!!! Thank you, never found something like this, I'm stoked!

You might find this old thread interesting:  I never did get a good candidate for the specific gastropod which donated to my steinkern

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

7 minutes ago, tylergile said:

Thanks! It looks like it is a Tylostoma tunidum. Found this website : https://www.txfossils.com/gastropods-hood-county . Seems to fit perfect.

Thank you!!!

In some previous incarnation I used to hunt fossils in Bull Creek off Spicewood Springs road. Not all that successful, but I have some great memories of walking the creekbed with my Dad and my dogs.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"