Electric Hand Chisel

Planko

Hey all. I am looking at getting an electric hand held chisel. I have a few in mind but cannot find one with rock chisels for a hand held. Anyone have a suggestion. 

Yes, air with a compressor would be better but noise is an issue as I like working in the garage very early. 

1 hour ago, Planko said:

Hey all. I am looking at getting an electric hand held chisel. I have a few in mind but cannot find one with rock chisels for a hand held. Anyone have a suggestion. 

Yes, air with a compressor would be better but noise is an issue as I like working in the garage very early. 

Can't help, but can't remember if I asked about your avatar photo. 

Is that a sully? 

Nice looking tort.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The only one I know of would a Foredom with a flex shaft for wood carving. They may not offer these kind of tips so it may void the warranty. Did you see other makers?

I actually have this Burgess unit. I was advised that it may be for leather work? I used it to texture my Mother Teresa  shawl. Mahogany. one piece of Mahogany. About 28 inch wide.Used a couple of the ball shape bits. 

Mother Teresa.jpg

22 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

That has to be the longest url I have ever seen.  And, the link works!

Don

it looks like someone sat on the keyboard for a while:heartylaugh:

I have purchased some inexpensive hand-held engravers at Harbor Freight.  They have a titanium tip (at least I think it's titanium) strong enough to engrave glass.  However you get what you pay for.  They didn't last very long, and they vibrate enough to make your fingers go all tingly.  

Don

What about something like a Dremel engraver or one of the generic versions? I have recently purchased a generic version which works rather well, for about half the price of the Dremel. They are loud and you need to give your hand a rest every few minutes, but they are inexpensive (for when they break) and the tips are replaceable. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-290-01-Stroke-Engraver-Template/dp/B0000302YN

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

What about something like a Dremel engraver or one of the generic versions? I have recently purchased a generic version which works rather well, for about half the price. They are loud and you need to give your hand a rest every few minutes, but they are inexpensive (for when they break) and the tips are replaceable. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-290-01-Stroke-Engraver-Template/dp/B0000302YN

I agree with FossilNerd.  I've been using one of these for years with great success.  Well, let me rephrase that; I used this tool for over 10 years and had to replace it only three times.  But for the price and the job it does, it's well worth the small investment.

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

If you're concerned about noise, everything mechanical is going to make a racket. Your better off with a small hammer and assorted cold chisels.

Kris is right. If you are concerned about noise, everything mechanical will be an issue. The electric engravers are not as loud as a compressor kicking on, but I would still use hearing protection with them. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)