Byron3

@Byron3

It is always useful to post more than one photo and include information about size. 

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Why do we have "cetaceans" in the tags if you have no idea what it is? :headscratch: 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

45 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Why do we have "cetaceans" in the tags if you have no idea what it is? :headscratch: 

Doren out here asking the real questions :P

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Maybe because he has no idea what it is ?

38 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Maybe because he has no idea what it is ?

Or maybe would he be happy to find cetacean fossils.:meganim:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

5 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Or maybe would he be happy to find cetacean fossils.:meganim:

Sorry, but I think it's safe to say that isn't going to happen in south western wyoming.

Just now, Rockwood said:

Sorry, but I think it's safe to say that isn't going to happen in south western wyoming.

:D The layers are too old ? I ask this because i Wonder, if then, what made our friend Believe this could be cetacean. And what he can hope to find there.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

14 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

The layers are too old ?

I can't say they are all too old, but the location seems quite remote from the environment as I remember from reading about their evolution.

Most of the story is about marine environments during the Paleogene. I don't think they had any.

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

I can't say they are all too old, but the location seems quite remote from the environment as I remember from reading about their evolution.

Most of the story is about marine environments during the Paleogene. I don't think they had any.

Do you know where's the nearest location to find marine fossils ?

In memory of Doren

35 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Do you know where's the nearest location to find marine fossils ?

From the Paleogene I think it would almost have to be Oregon or California coastal.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I may 950 million years in the future. You probably meant "it hasn't happened" as opposed to "isn't going to happen". :D Unless you know something we don't, which is possible as I know very little. I also know her brother john little. You may know him as little john, in which case you know little as I do. Confused? Yeah, me too.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 minute ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I may 950 million years in the future. You probably meant "it hasn't happened" as opposed to "isn't going to happen". :D Unless you know something we don't, which is possible as I know very little. I also know her brother john little. You may know him as little john, in which case you know little as I do. Confused? Yeah, me too.

Good insight !

In memory of Doren

no cetaceans here in Wyoming.  The youngest marine rocks are late Cretaceous.  Mosasaurs, no whales.  Pacific coast are the closest ones.  

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

In 950 million years southwestern Wyoming will likely be part of the west coast. So I guess you could be right. 

I wouldn't wager on cetaceans be around that long to see it though. Oh, and humans, will be lucky to last another 95.

On 07/04/2020 at 2:38 AM, Rockwood said:

In 950 million years southwestern Wyoming will likely be part of the west coast. So I guess you could be right. 

I wouldn't wager on cetaceans be around that long to see it though. Oh, and humans, will be lucky to last another 95.

You're optmistic.

In memory of Doren