DINOMAN91

I have a couple questions about the long bone on the far left and the smaller on the far right there labeled as raptor Leg bones from the kem kem beds any idea what dinosaur these could possibly be from and what location on the animal. They came from the same animal.

5B1F6FBE-B9E1-4B43-A414-07B17AD03B88.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I’m just very cautious when it comes from Morocco. The dealer I know very well but he gets them from his supplier which I don’t know so he can only go off what he is told

Will need much, much better photos than this. Closeups from different angles it good light. This is not nearly sufficient.

But I will say that the lighter limb bone you say is labeled as raptor, does look like it might fit with the morphology of a theropod right femur.

I'm not sure what the left limb bone is supposed to be, but it looks wrong.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

There have been no raptors described in the Kem Kem so highly unlikely they are one.  The one on the left looks like a Frankenstein bone but need better photos which you are trying to get.

26 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

There have been no raptors described in the Kem Kem so highly unlikely they are one.  The one on the left looks like a Frankenstein bone but need better photos which you are trying to get.

It's not just some teeth that look like they might belong to Dromaeosaurs.
I've got a partial humerus from Kem Kem that's nearly identical to those of known Dromaeosaurs and birds. It's hollow but seems much too heavily build for a bird.

25 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

There have been no raptors described in the Kem Kem so highly unlikely they are one.

Just because a dromaeosaurid has not been described yet I would not be too quick to cross it off as an option.  I know there are several dromaeosaurid cf. teeth that have been found and have characteristics indicating some type of raptor is present.  The possibility is most likely low, but still an option that may need further analysis.

22 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Just because a dromaeosaurid has not been described yet I would not be too quick to cross it off as an option.  I know there are several dromaeosaurid cf. teeth that have been found and have characteristics indicating some type of raptor is present.  The possibility is most likely low, but still an option that may need further analysis.

Hendrickx believes that a lot of what we are seeing may be a Noasauridae not Dromaeosaurid.  So for the time being its still an unknown and to characterize something as Dromaeosaurid is a bit premature.  May happen but new discoveries are needed.  

18 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Hendrickx believes that a lot of what we are seeing may be a Noasauridae not Dromaeosaurid.  So for the time being its still an unknown and to characterize something as Dromaeosaurid is a bit premature.  May happen but new discoveries are needed.  

The humerus I have at least does not fit Noasauridae in any sense. There was another forum member that had a similar more complete specimen. I forgot who though.

22 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

The humerus I have at least does not fit Noasauridae in any sense. There was another forum member that had a similar more complete specimen. I forgot who though.

Is it possible you could post the specimen you have for reference? :) 

My point being for the purpose of this topic is that you cannot assign a bone to a group of dinosaurs that has not been described from the KK despite some antidotal evidence.  You need some scientific evidence that has been published to support that claim.  Not aware of any.

33 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Is it possible you could post the specimen you have for reference? :) 

I initially didn't post it since it wasn't relevant to identifying the possible raptor femur.

And Bambiraptor feinbergi humerus for reference. Though much more slender, Archaeopteryx and Troodontids are also similar. So far as I can tell, nothing else comes even close.
humerus_ulna.thumb.jpg.50f070ffced3f8d617cd94e1fb9bdf7f.jpg

And the humerus of the Noasaurid Masiakasaurus knopfleri.
Left-humerus-FMNH-PR-2485-of-Masiakasaurus-knopfleri-in-lateral-A-posterior-B.thumb.png.8f68091d4487efcdcd9078c67aa5b660.png

• I found this Informative 3

6 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I initially didn't post it since it wasn't relevant to identifying the possible raptor femur.

And Bambiraptor feinbergi humerus for reference. Though much more slender, Archaeopteryx and Troodontids are also similar. So far as I can tell, nothing else comes even close.
humerus_ulna.thumb.jpg.50f070ffced3f8d617cd94e1fb9bdf7f.jpg

And the humerus of the Noasaurid Masiakasaurus knopfleri.
Left-humerus-FMNH-PR-2485-of-Masiakasaurus-knopfleri-in-lateral-A-posterior-B.thumb.png.8f68091d4487efcdcd9078c67aa5b660.png

Neat!  I always love these scans, thanks for sharing.

21 minutes ago, DINOMAN91 said:

4531C545-4E95-437B-A1BD-F0976550BFDB.jpeg

Much better photos. That helps a lot.

The top two are composites. Ugly ones too. The first one looks to be from 3 different bones, the second probably two different ones.

Although funnily enough, on that second composite, the part bone on the right looks quite similar to the humerus I posted.

The bottom one looks much better. There might be repair. But since the other two are so terrible in quality that also casts doubt on this one.

There might be the one infill area where it might be repaired, but it's hard to tell. Otherwise it definitely looks like a left? theropod femur. But I think it's much too fat to even consider dromeosaur. But since so little is published it's hard to tell. If this femur is not a composite then I think it would likely be reasonable to label it as theropoda indet.