Help Identifying bivalve/Brachiopod

pjullien

Hello, 

I have been fossil hunting in Northeast Oklahoma near lake shores in an area where I have found bivalve, Bracheopod, and Crinoid fossils.  I have been separating them into similar groups to identify them.  May I get some help on this particular fossil type?  Found in Northeast Oklahoma near the Lake Skiatook area.  I am a newbie when it comes to fossil identification so I may be wrong on my tags.

fossil1a.jpg

fossil2a.jpg

fossil3a.jpg

fossil4a.jpg

Grammysioidea ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It looks like a very nice fossil and I believe you have a bivalve there, not a brachiopod.  If I have the map correct, the area around Lake Skiatook should be Pennsylvanian in age, not Devonian.  With that in mind, it could be something like Myalinella, but there are some other options as well that may be possible.  Hard for me to be too certain based on just these pictures.  You may want to go to the DPS website at the this link and look through the Mollusca to see if any of them look like a better match to your specimen in hand: https://www.dallaspaleo.org/resources/Documents/PGUPFT 2a Mollusca first half.pdf

Maps

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks for both of your inputs!  I also appreciate the link...I'm investigating!  Yes I am sure you are right "the area around Lake Skiatook should be Pennsylvanian "

• I found this Informative 1

Bob,

I think Septimyalina perattenuata might be it!  It looks like it and the map puts in right in the area of NE Oklahoma I found it.   

Thank you.

ClearLake,

It is definitely a bivalve!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, pjullien said:

Bob,

I think Septimyalina perattenuata might be it!  It looks like it and the map puts in right in the area of NE Oklahoma I found it.   

Thank you.

ClearLake,

It is definitely a bivalve!

Thanks!

So NOT Devonian?

42 minutes ago, erose said:

So NOT Devonian?

That is correct, the geologic map shows that area of Oklahoma to be Pennsylvanian aged.

• I found this Informative 1