Small Claw

Shellseeker

Like many these days, I am sorting and cleaning up the previous month's finds.

I do not recall picking this up, probably considered it a fragment or barracuda tooth.

It is 17 mm long and 6.5 mm wide, and slightly concave on one side.PossibleClaw2.JPG.2b1d8b91f96991ec91d0a1225cef9096.JPGPossibleClaw1.JPG.53f62ef8dc0941dea9f7609623ab5aca.JPGPossibleClaw3.JPG.ad6fa895aa31f5ba26209547bc9e2cd5.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Dermal denticle of some kind possibly? Spur?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, old bones said:

Perhaps;

5e8ba7f4adb1d_Petrochirussp..thumb.jpg.e534ff7ed13a846e4d16b1aa9f905adc.jpg

Thanks,

There have been examples of Petrochirus claws found in the Peace River.  I can search TFF and find them.  It looks close but a little different.  I have send an email to Roger Portell Collection Director of Invertebrate Paleontology at University of Florida.  He collects Florida crabs. I will let you know when he responds.

@digit

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Definitely no barracuda tooth--but if that might have been what motivated you to keep it rather than toss it back, it was a good thing. ;)

I found a tiny piece of Petrochirus yesterday while picking some micro-matrix (a great was to pass the time while not out and about). I fairly regularly encounter dactyls (fingers) from the chela (claw/pincher) while picking micro-matrix but less often spot them while out in the river with a sifting screen. Does not match my concept of a tortoise leg spur (osteoderm) as they are solid and have a distinctive constriction at the base.

The shape, surface texture (and hollowness) do look about right for a Petrochirus dactyl. I'd be interested to hear what Roger has to say. He may be harder to get a hold of at the moment but we eagerly await his opinion here. In the meantime:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/72288-crab-claw-from-peace-river/

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/Rights-Managed/AAM-AAES101370

Petrochirus.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2