Hexagonal shapes unexplained

Daryl E

I found this recently north of Hatch New Mexico. I was picking up lots of small quartz crystal clusters and thot this was maybe a cluster that got sheared off somehow. 
After a closer look and bit of a clean up I noticed the side views look like there is “stacked” formations. So the top has the hexagonal shapes and the sides look as if there is fairly uniform segments. 
The same general area has fossils like fusilinids, crinoid bits, shells at different levels. 
Also in the area rhyolite, chert and quartz crystal. 
Anyway, not sure if this is a fossil of some sort but have never found anything quite like it. PALEODICTYON is what came up when I googled hexagonal fossil. Certainly some similarities. 
Thanks for any help u can give me! 
4D163FF0-7566-401E-9E76-D1B9B2B751B2.thumb.jpeg.80d7a1f48a8af9f66404c27a6fed055e.jpeg

C9983C22-EA29-45D0-9F70-3D1B735E77B9.jpeg

C0CAB6BE-C6D5-47D0-AA15-9DAE7FDE08DD.jpeg

looks like a fossil coral. something like Favosites sp.

• I found this Informative 4

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Me too. 

Nice find.

Hello, Daryl, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Misinterpreted the specimen, its a favositid, of course! Sorry!

Franz Bernhard

There are outcrops of the Ordovician Montoya Formation in some of the mountains in that area.  It is the only Formation in the area that has favositid corals.  The Montoya has a diverse coral fauna, including several genera and species of favositid corals.  There is a New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources Memoir by Rousseau Flower that treats the corals.  Unfortunately good thin sections are needed to ID these corals as you need to see the internal structure.  Nice find!

Don

• I found this Informative 3