Help with another bivalve please?

pjullien

As I posted on another recent request for help on identification, I have collected and separated fossils into common groups and am working on identifying them.  The area is near Skiatook lake in NE Oklahoma.

This is another one that I have had trouble identifying.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  I am assuming this is a bivalve but not a brachiopod since no lateral mid-line(?) (not sure here).  The thing that makes this so unusual is that where one side of the shell wraps around (typical), the other side sticks way out as a prominence.  

IMG_1420a.jpg

IMG_1422a.jpg

IMG_1423a.jpg

IMG_1424a.jpg

IMG_1426a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice!  This is a brachiopod.  I believe it is Meekella striatocoastata.  A picture taken from the right of picture 4 would be helpful, I think that should show a big triangular interarea. 

I like how you get nice and close with your pictures, normally we have to ask people to get a little closer and not have so much background.  This might be the first time I suggest backing out just a tiny bit to see if more of it can be in focus at once.  I know - picky, picky!! :unsure:  Keep them coming!

• I found this Informative 2

Okay here is pic #4 taken from the right.  The prominence is the lower part of the shell. And what do you know...there is a big triangular depression just like you thought!  Cool.  

IMG_1428a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Meekella striatocostata  is correct, methinks. 

Lovely specimen. :drool:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yep, thats it.  Picture 2 shows the junction where the two valves came together in a zip zag line.  This last photo shows the hinge line (left to right across the middle) and your one close up even shows the detail of the ornamentation that is sort of unique to this guy.

Thank you all for the comments and help.  Greatly appreciated.  Does anyone have a link to a visual chart on this one at their fingertips?  I'm trying to confirm online but not seeing it.

if you really want to get serious about it, download a copy of Dunbar and Condra's "Brachiopoda of the Pennsylvanian System in Nebraska" (1932).  That will keep you up at night reading!

• I found this Informative 1

The link you had showed Meekella striatocostata on the third panel but the image didn't show enough detail for me to have easily identified it on my own.  I may have to download that copy.  At least I know what it is now :)

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, pjullien said:

but the image didn't show enough detail for me to have easily identified it on my own.

I hear you.  I often have the same problem with fossils that are new to me.  Fortunately, Pennsylvanian aged brachiopods are a little more familiar to me, so it is sometimes easier to spot and ID items.  Keep looking and learning, it is a lot of fun!  There are lots of folks on here with very different areas of "expertise", so someone is bound to recognize what gets posted.

The fossils you have posted look pretty nice, Ill have to get up that way sometime.  I have collected the Pennsylvanian in Ohio and Texas, but need to hit the big chunk of land in between!

The link to our study group pictorial guide that @ClearLake posted is just a preliminary sample of what we are working on for the Pennsylvanian of North Texas.  We hope to offer more views of better specimens along with detailed instructions for some of the more confusing brachiopods down to species level as well as  many more species than you see there.

The study group page of the Dallas Paleo website also has links to several other pages of Pennsylvanian invertebrate animals and eventually we hope to cover vertebrates and plants too. We found we are using too much of the available data space to fit in what we hope to provide so we are putting together a separate website just for our work. When it is up we will have a link on the same page to find it. Anyone is welcome to join our group, to help, observe, or just to get help with their finds but we will not meet until it is safe for groups to get together again.

We meet on Saturdays at the U.T. Arlington GeoScience Bldg on an irregular basis. Dates are announced by email so message me if you want on the membership list, no dues, no rules and you can leave your cell phone on ;)

• I found this Informative 3