NSR, April 7th

BudB

I made my second trip to the North Sulfur River today. I had planned on going yesterday, but it was pretty chilly early, and today was forecast to be much warmer, plus the water was still coming down, so I settled for a 50 mile bike ride yesterday, and headed for the NSR this morning. I seem to be making the most of this time of social distancing / off work. A bike ride yesterday, NSR today, and I'll be crappie fishing tomorrow. If this is a preview of retirement, sign me up. Once again, I just went to the Ladonia Fossil Park. I hiked downstream, the opposite of the direction I headed last time.

I'm still finding out what my physical capabilities are for this kind of trip. With all my bike riding, my legs are strong, and I'm in great aerobic shape, but at 69 years old, and after almost 50 years of heavy machine shop work, my back and shoulders are pretty cratered. I'm not sure how I'll hold up for long hikes down treacherous river bottoms, or climbing in and out.

I probably pack my backpack lighter than most here. But after hiking a couple of miles down the river and back today, I feel fine. So, maybe I can hold up to these trips better than I thought. I'm ready to try getting in and out of the river at some other spots. I drove over to the FM2990 bridge and looked at that access. I'll tackle it, but I'm definitely going to do it on a dry day. That rope climb back up looks tough.

I'd also like to try out the river downstream at 24. A question for those who know the area: Google satellite photos show a lot more water in that area, with hardly any sand bars showing. Is the water that much higher there, or is it just when Google took the photos? Do I need to wait for lower water to try that out? Water level today was 2.08.

I didn't bring that much back today. There was nothing of real significance, but as always, some interesting stuff.

nsr00201.jpg

A great suture pattern on this ammonite fragment. Wish I could find something more complete like this.

nsr00202.jpg

And a nice pattern on this baculite as well. There were lots of baculite fragments to be found.

nsr00203.jpg

The suture pattern looks similar at the top of this one, but different on the rest of it.

nsr00204.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Here are two views of this rock. Is that a fish tail in the upper photo? It looks like other fossils in the rock as well.

nsr00205.jpg

And here are three views of one that really fascinated me. Is it a vertebrae of some kind? I've never seen a pattern like that. The hollowed areas matched on top and bottom, and the two sides matched, too.

nsr00206.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I like the Baculites and ammonite bits.

Yes, a vertebra; fish, i think.

The last one is chert, and maybe the one before that as well. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

About your search on Google images. 

A while back I was looking up conditions for a local lake shore deposit and the image showed a full lake with boaters and water skiers having fun.

I knew this to be incorrect since the lake was dry and had been for some time.

I believe those satellite photos are only taken about every five years or so.

It would be so nice to get "real time" current imagery to check conditions right before we go on a hunt.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice finds. 24 is always deeper water. I hit it during the summer. 

9 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Nice finds. 24 is always deeper water. I hit it during the summer. 

Thanks, Jarrod. That's exactly what I was thinking.