Tooth ID on peace river find - carnivorous

Reebs

Greetings! I hope everyone is staying well out there. I found this tooth while sifting in the peace river a few days ago.  I usually only find shark teeth and horse teeth - rarely whale or dolphin but this is my first Tooth of this type :) !! Is this a premolar from a canine or feline...or neither? something carnivorous though right!?  The shape is similar to photos of a bear dog tooth I saw on the forum but it’s pretty small. It’s about .5” X .5”  Thanks for looking. 

Cheers, 

Marie

EC297C93-FA1E-4A8A-86B5-2DC919A5E32D.thumb.png.1f2ced74d8b28d4d9715cac3632fd9e1.png

AF538CB1-F0B5-4E2E-B453-84DDEB14E892.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Your tooth reminds me of an upper P4 (carnassial) from a small cat.

The vertebra looks snake-like, but may be from a salamander.  We need more views to say.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I believe your mystery object is an urchin spine.

methinks so too.  The little vert does indeed look like a snake.

beauty of a tooth you found, congrats!:wub:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Neat! Thanks! @jpc 

@jcbshark thank you! I’m super thrilled about it :)  I met you a few times at a site in Venice last year.  Hope the hunting has been well for you and to see you out in the field again sometime. 

Agreed with the urchin spine--a nice find. I spot tiny (broken) urchin spines while picking through micro-matrix gravel. I can't say that I've ever encountered a larger specimen in a sifting screen. Snake verts (and some lizards like salamanders) have ball and socket articulations to increase their flexibility. That's why we wanted to verify the ball end in a different view.

The felid carnassial is a killer find--the trip-maker for sure!

Cheers.

-Ken

@digit   Very cool!! That is 3 firsts for me all in one trip. I can see the ball and socket on the vert, thanks for pointing that out.  I am amazed at how tiny it is. I agree the carnassial was most definitely the trip maker. I could tell it was really special before I knew what it was, but now it can be appreciated for what it truly is.  Heh. The more ya know... :)  Thank you for the post. 

Marie