Carnivore Jaw???

Ruger9a

Good afternoon folks.  I have what I believe to be two Carnivore jaw sections requiring some ID/confirmation help.  I cannot find the original paperwork that came with these specimens, just a hand written note stating "Longshan, China, Stone age, which may or may not apply to them.  Any help is appreciated.  

DSCN4686 (2).JPG

DSCN4687 (2).JPG

DSCN4688 (2).JPG

DSCN4690 (2).JPG

DSCN4692 (2).JPG

DSCN4694 (2).JPG

DSCN4698 (2).JPG

DSCN4699 (2).JPG

Definitely carnivore, and definitely awesome! I'm no expert but I have a decent understanding of skulls from looking at modern examples and I did some searching. The general shaping as well as the number and form of the teeth rules out all predatory cats I could find. I believe you have jaw fragments from a canine of some kind, a wolf would be my best guess. Both appear to be lower right jaws.

Someone else will be along soon to provide better info.:thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 1

Indeed, not a cat.  Looks very canine, but I am not familiar with other choices from this time period in Asia.  

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Huntonia said:

Definitely carnivore, and definitely awesome! I'm no expert but I have a decent understanding of skulls from looking at modern examples and I did some searching. The general shaping as well as the number and form of the teeth rules out all predatory cats I could find. I believe you have jaw fragments from a canine of some kind, a wolf would be my best guess. Both appear to be lower right jaws.

Someone else will be along soon to provide better info.:thumbsu:

Thank you!!  That's good news.   I'm hoping someone will be able to give some additional details that I can research.

Update….  Sorry, the Longshan ID did NOT relate to these jaws.  It was for a single canine tooth from China which I did find the documentation for.  So, are we back to square one?  I don't know where these jaws were actually found.  Although I believe I can safely rule out China.  Since all four teeth I purchased from China were herbivore except for the one canine from Longshan. 

Looks very fox-like to me, I'd guess Vulpes but without location and age that may be suspect.  The top/first specimen almost appears recent.

image.jpeg.c25039ca15fb36566568b590d716a873.jpeg

3 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

Looks very fox-like to me, I'd guess Vulpes but without location and age that may be suspect.  The top/first specimen almost appears recent.

image.jpeg.c25039ca15fb36566568b590d716a873.jpeg

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.  It's a fossil, sounds like china when tapped on granite.  Passes the flame test.

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Canid for sure.  They appear to be dogs of some sort.

Thanks Harry.  Wish I had more information to help in the identification process.  This is the exact reason I no longer buy unidentified fossils.