Shellseeker

I was prospecting / hunting yesterday and initially struggled to find a diggable location. After paddling upstream a couple of miles,  I noted some debris (and hopefully gravel) on a sandbank coming out from the bank. I stopped to chech it out and almost immediately saw a fragment of horse tooth, pick up a tuttle footpad and then barely covered in water, a high quality 3 inch diameter whale vert. YES!!!! This stuff had to have come downstream, now if I could figure out where.

I did find a likely spot with gravel, somewhat smaller than I would prefer.  In the 1st sieve, I found a tiny tooth that might be a Meg or might be a Bull..., In the 2nd sieve, I found a tiny tooth that might be a Meg or might be a Bull... In the 3rd sieve, I found a tiny tooth that might be a Meg or might be a Bull... I did not see another tooth or fragment that remotely resemble a Meg:

Sharkteeth.png.bbc5e95d30b61f9655d55c29bb4dabf1.png

So, which ones are Megs and why....

#1,

MegMaybe1.JPG.2c2cbfe7d9ee6124d3428a5fbd360e82.JPGMegMaybe1b.JPG.63bf8227d169ab5e211d07b66645906c.JPG

MegMaybe2.JPG.fef583c9d55d9e97b04fcd772a40c3f7.JPG

MegMaybe2b.JPG.b5394d8fb84e8d9932b3df92b1578121.JPG

MegMaybe3.JPG.49f690f6b1a1651f8589df3d89a58748.JPGMegMaybe3a.JPG.3bad3b1912a099fb87d5bb04015b914c.JPG

As an aside, great social distancing, left my vehicle at 6:30 am, returned at 3:45 pm. Never saw a single person.

• I found this Informative 5

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Jack, Glad you got out and had a productive day.  Would love to see a photo of the vert that goes along with the rest of your finds.

1 hour ago, PODIGGER said:

Jack, Glad you got out and had a productive day.  Would love to see a photo of the vert that goes along with the rest of your finds.

Here it is... Whale Vert from the Peace River. Note the fine lines indicating that it was "protected" the last half million years or so. And my 1st little meg sitting in front.

Not very much else, small teeth, broken bones, but this was enough....IMG_3604.thumb.JPEG.501a77958101b2b7067bb446e937490b.JPEG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Awesome stuff! I would love to go collecting now. #1 is a hemi, the rest are Carcharhinus 

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Great finds!  That vert is a trip maker.  I'm seriously thinking of getting out there next week.  Watching the water levels still dropping in the ponds around my house is making me anxious for a day on the river.  

9 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Awesome stuff! I would love to go collecting now. #1 is a hemi, the rest are Carcharhinus 

Thank you, Devil

A (long) while back, I believe that @Paleoc identified the following teeth as Carcharhinus obscurus. So I thought very fine consistent sized serrations with the telltale "v" indent on one side of the blade. Fat uneven serrations always makes me think of Meg

PaleocID_Dusky.jpg.940ed5531ed7ee87ba8fc38dfbd96162.jpg

Here is a baby Meg about the same size,

This one happens to have a cusp, a rarity in the Peace River, but note the fat, uneven serrations and even a slight "v". No bourlette, and significantly no foramen grove. There is a foramen grove in tooth # 2 above, so it is not a Meg. Likely bull or dusky impersonating a Meg. Same with the 3rd tooth.  Despite what could be percieved as a bourlette and fat uneven serrations,  it has a foramen grove === not Meg.

BabyMegCusp.thumb.jpg.0ea2213bdf7340cd654500cd3b42a83d.jpg

The 1st tooth I thought there was no doubt, but I had not considered small upper Hemi a candidate.  Have to think about this.  :zzzzscratchchin:

For those who had not seen it, here is a "guide" I use for Florida sharks. https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/sharks/fossil/shark-tooth-id-guide/

32 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

Great finds!  That vert is a trip maker.  I'm seriously thinking of getting out there next week.  Watching the water levels still dropping in the ponds around my house is making me anxious for a day on the river.  

I did a lot of walking.. Hard to believe that the river is so low.  But, the exercise is good for me.