Southern Ellis County, Texas, April 10th

BudB

I have enjoyed my trips to NSR and Mineral Wells, but they are a long enough drive from Gun Barrel City that I'm wanting to find closer places to hunt, for days when I don't have all day, or just want to stay closer to home. There isn't much to be found here in Henderson County, but Ellis and Navarro counties, just to the west, are both known to have fossils. 

I spent some time looking at google satellite images, picked out some likely places to look at, and did some scouting yesterday. It had rained the day before, so while I looked at several possible places to hunt, the only place I actually did some hiking in was a small creek bed that I thought wouldn't have too much water to deal with. It's in the southern part of Ellis County, and it does, indeed, have some fossils.

Here's a view of the creek bed, and what I brought home.

ellis001.jpg

ellis002.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Most of the fossils were very small, and just fragments. Many were embedded in rocks, like these.

ellis004.jpg

ellis005.jpg

I'm trying to stop bringing home more petrified wood, but these two were just too pretty.

ellis008.jpg

Same thing with Cretaceous oysters, but some are just so great looking, and impressive with their thickness.

ellis009.jpg

And finally, I found another cow tooth. This one is a molar. Guess I'm going to end up with an entire set.

ellis012.jpg

• I found this Informative 1