N. Carolina Finds

NCSTer

A couple of recent finds from Easten North Carolina, Castle Hayne Formation.
Scale divisions on all pix are 1 mm.

The first specimen is brachiopod, I have it ID'd as Eucalathis sp.
Can one of our experts confirm or correct?

Second specimen(s) I really have no idea, other than possibly bryozoan, but I can't see any surface apertures.
The first pic is of two nearly identical specimens and the remaining pix are of just one.
The specimens are not domed, the top surface is a pebble-like texture and the opposite side is a sandy texture. The dark "object' in the center is actually a hole that goes completely through. (Last pic is a profile of it mounted in a pc of putty - sorry for the poor quality picture(s)!)

What do you folks think?

A016 - C.H..jpg

A015 - C.H..jpg

A017 - C.H..jpg

A019 - C.H..jpg

A020 - C.H..jpg

A025 - C.H..jpg

I think your brachiopod is Terebratulina. The second item is an urchin plate, part of the apical disk.

1CC32679-0962-4910-B563-4AC4A77D7993.jpeg

43D15475-7F85-4DA3-B1C0-6A23B8763204.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

I think your brachiopod is Terebratulina. The second item is an urchin plate, part of the apical disk.

Thanks!

Wow, using the NCFC Invert book, Terebratulina wouldn't have even been in my top three guesses. Could you educate me with what about my specimen is diagnostic for that ID?

And for the urchin apical disc -- Wow again! I never would have come up with that one.

Your knowledge of the "details" always amazes me.

11 hours ago, NCSTer said:

Thanks!

Wow, using the NCFC Invert book, Terebratulina wouldn't have even been in my top three guesses. Could you educate me with what about my specimen is diagnostic for that ID?

And for the urchin apical disc -- Wow again! I never would have come up with that one.

Your knowledge of the "details" always amazes me.

Your brachiopod has too many costae to be Eucalathis. The two species of Eucalathis have 11 and 16 costae. Here is the best reference to use for Tertiary brachiopods found in eastern US- https://repository.si.edu/handle/10088/1986

Here are my photos of Eucalathis and Terebratulina from the Castle Hayne Formation. The first one is Eucalathis.

Eucalathis.jpg

Terebratulina.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I've posted this before. It is a photo of Terebratulina, Argyrotheca and a single Eucalathis (on Lincoln's shoulder). These are from a single bulk sample of Castle Hayne Formation.

brachiopods on penny small.jpg

• I found this Informative 2