Geode and Bryozoan in one limestone rock?

Ramona

I have so many rocks that I often like to take one and remove as much matrix as I can, to learn more about it.  This rock was very interesting!  The limestone was very soft and I know for a fact that I removed plenty of small fossils along the way, but I thought I was digging a geode out of the rock (the "original" thing was the dark area). After cleaning thoroughly with vinegar and a toothbrush, I started removing all soft matrix with a dental pick.  I was surprised to "break through" to a totally different geode than the one I thought I was digging out!  Part of this new geode broke off later, but I was able to see the inside well!  :-)  I also discovered what seems to be a nice bryozoan fossil?  I never did figure out what the original item was - it may still be a geode, but I have stopped for now.  I may have seen this before, but just though it was interesting to see the geode and fossil in the same rock.  Found in Huntsville, Alabama.

IMG_1540-1lowtext.jpg

IMG_1594-4lowtext.jpg

yes it is a Byrozoan. Being limestone or a variation  I believe that you have a VUG or hole. Not a Geode, that would be both different and have internal

Calcite formations. Crack open type. 

• I found this Informative 1

I’m not as up on my geology as I should be to debate whether this is a geode, vug, or something else, but I will say that it is a very cool specimen!

I really like when one rock displays multiple things like this. The lovely little bryozoan and the beautiful pocket of crystals. I’d be glad to have it in my display and would keep the broken piece with it. Just like your last picture. Very nice! :)  

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

15 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

yes it is a Byrozoan. Being limestone or a variation  I believe that you have a VUG or hole. Not a Geode, that would be both different and have internal

Calcite formations. Crack open type. 

Oh, cool!! I thought vugs were just indentations and holes on the outside of rocks - I didn't realize there could be hollow vugs inside of rocks!  See, I keep learning!  Thanks!  Cracking rocks is fun, LOL!

14 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I’m not as up on my geology as I should be to debate whether this is a geode, vug, or something else, but I will say that it is a very cool specimen!

I really like when one rock displays multiple things like this. The lovely little bryozoan and the beautiful pocket of crystals. I’d be glad to have it in my display and would keep the broken piece with it. Just like your last picture. Very nice! :)  

Thanks!  It's lots of fun learning about this stuff!  I just have to figure out where to store all of my rocks, LOL!  I have started putting the larger ones back outside in my flower beds.  ;-)

I decided to work on this rock some more and I have taken some macro photos.  I am still not sure what the original dark item is, but I see lots of bryozoans, crinoids, etc.  Anyone see anything different?  (Two posts with photos from different angles.)

IMG_1749-1LOW.jpg

IMG_1750-2LOW.jpg

IMG_1751-3LOW.jpg

What is "VUG" ? Wulfenite ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

a VUG. this is as found along the roadside by my house. 

20161109_092234.jpg

20161109_092302.jpg

Gotcha!  Thanks!!

13 minutes ago, Coco said:

What is "VUG" ? Wulfenite ?

Coco

According to a Google definition: a cavity in rock, lined with mineral crystals.

:-)