N. Texas Unknown Vert

cthomp50

IMG_4231.thumb.JPG.fec74993ea9120833e895a95b821218d.JPG

Found this vert in a Farmers Branch gravel bed.  (Farmers Branch is a suburb of N. Dallas) Hoping you could help me identify it!

Nice find! Mosasaur vertebrae. I suggest using this to help figure out if it came from the Eagle Ford group or lower Austin group.

Mosasaur material from the Eagle Ford would be especially interesting, since they are relatively rare in it. Although this coming from a gravel bed does complicate placing it exactly.

• I found this Informative 1

Very rare for me to find this in Farmers Branch!  It usually doesn't yield much except cow bones :)

I usually have to go to the N. Sulphur river to find any mosasaur.  The only other significant find I've found there is a possible plesiosaur digit.  Exciting!

On 4/11/2020 at 8:36 PM, Heteromorph said:

Nice find! Mosasaur vertebrae. I suggest using this to help figure out if it came from the Eagle Ford group or lower Austin group.

Mosasaur material from the Eagle Ford would be especially interesting, since they are relatively rare in it. Although this coming from a gravel bed does complicate placing it exactly.

The map reads Eagle Ford.  To be more clear, it was found in a gravel bar in one of the small creeks that run through Farmers Branch.  These creeks are just runoff from starting in North Dallas (Addison) from virtually nothing.  So very interesting indeed.  Gives me the fossil fever again however.

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 3.49.53 PM.png

• I found this Informative 1