Large piece of Petrified wood

jnicholes

I haven't been on for a while. Reason is I'm getting ready for a move. I wanted to tell you all that while I was looking at a house, I found a 4.6 lb piece of petrified wood. The land owner said I could take it, to my surprise.

The fossil is already pack with my other fossils. I'll upload a picture when I have a chance. May take a while.

• I found this Informative 1

I know an area near Sacramento CA that has wood near the surface and is often brought up. When I still lived in the area they were building new houses and I kept going back to pick thru the new digs. I found hundreds of pounds of smaller pieces (chips to a couple pounds) and 1 piece that is close to 100 pounds. When I moved to Alaska I actually brought most of it lol! At one point a new homeowner talked to the construction company about some stranger rooting around (my work truck made it hard to hide). He found me one day and we talked for a bit. After our chat he said come by anytime, woohoo! And he would talk to the homeowner. Next time the homeowner stopped by and asked if I was really finding petrified wood? He had a piece in his hand he asked about. So then he took me to his place to ask more questions. I cried!! They were putting a pool in, already had the wire form in. Along the bottom was ..... 20+ feet of log showing!! I am still dreaming that I had enough funds to pay to enlarge the pool if I could get that log. Some of the wood shows great cell details and/or dry rot damage.

I would love to have fossils poking up from a yard I was looking to buy. That might be just enough to make me say "this is the one" lol

Nice story! That sounds like a big log!

So far, of all the houses I looked at, only two had petrified wood. Even then, it was pretty scarce. Just one piece in each yard.

So, I'm unable to post a picture right now because my laptop is packed, and the picture is too big on my phone to upload. I am unable to resize it. I'm still working on it.

Actually, I just had an idea. Give me a second.

Just now, jnicholes said:

Nice story! That sounds like a big log!

So far, of all the houses I looked at, only two had petrified wood. Even then, it was pretty scarce. Just one piece in each yard.

So, I'm unable to post a picture right now because my laptop is packed, and the picture is too big on my phone to upload. I am unable to resize it. I'm still working on it.

Actually, I just had an idea. Give me a second.

I just crop the phone photos and that often gets it there

Recently started digging this guy out. I’m about 12ft in and the trunk just gets wider, with no end in sight

I hate when this happens. I try posting something I think is cool, and for me it's something big. And then somebody else comes along and shows their find that is obviously bigger and better than mine.

It's just not fair. My find is insignificant compared to yours.

I hate this.

54 minutes ago, jnicholes said:

I hate when this happens. I try posting something I think is cool, and for me it's something big. And then somebody else comes along and shows their find that is obviously bigger and better than mine.

It's just not fair. My find is insignificant compared to yours.

I hate this.

Haha :ighappy:

I'm not sure I should be laughing because I'm not sure if you are just joking. All fossils are cool and please keep posting pictures!

I apologize, just joined last night am new to the petrified wood thing. Thought this was a discussion forum, didn’t mean to get you all in your feelings. I hope your next one is bigger than mine. 

I wish it would let me upload the video so you could see just how big it is the pic I posted is almost how I found it

6 minutes ago, J Dove said:

I wish it would let me upload the video so you could see just how big it is the pic I posted is almost how I found it

I'm not sure how to do videos. I'm a little new myself.

It's all right. I'm over it now. I'm just stressed because I'm moving today.

No hard feelings?

Just so you know, you can make new threads and new posts about different topics, like your petrified wood.

Anyway, I need to start a new thread myself on a different topic, then it's back to loading the truck.

No hard feelings man, I just finished moving myself with a 2 year old and a pregnant wife. I feel your pain man. Good luck with the move

6 hours ago, J Dove said:

CAD0F0A2-A081-47B9-A94F-860699DAA9A8.jpeg

This is an absolutely beautiful specimen.  Please keep us posted on your progress.  Just to be "fair", you may want to start your own thread to show your photos from the find until the final unveiling.  That's really is a unique find - especially if the trunk base and roots are still there.

2 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

This is an absolutely beautiful specimen.  Please keep us posted on your progress.  Just to be "fair", you may want to start your own thread to show your photos from the find until the final unveiling.  That's really is a unique find - especially if the trunk base and roots are still there.

I agree. That is an awesome find. That's dwarfed all my fossils, Including my big 13 inch Phareodus testis, which is a fish fossil, in case you dont know.