3 unknowns take a look!

The Dude

Found these in the peace river, it's really giving me lots of fun and exercise during my time off work, #1 I think it looks like poop, #2 like a small egg (I did read the post about "if you think you found a egg" and the 3rd a tooth. The last one I posted turned out to be a rock but this one is definitely a tooth. I have looked and many alligator/croc images and I don't believe it belongs to either, looking forward to your opinion, thank you! 

Peace River Formation is middle Miocene to early Pliocene 

P_20200412_142457_LL~2.jpg

P_20200412_142532_LL~2.jpg

I know I'm being hopeful but the one in the middle sure is shaped just like a egg and the surface is not rough like the pic you shared here it's smooth with the cracks in it , thanks though you could be right 

The egg-shaped one is REALLY egg-shaped, until you see the back side and then it isn't. Eggshells don't bend or deform; they crack and break. It should be cracked and/or broken along the length of that ridge on the back, but it isn't. That would be the first spot to break, but it didn't. Therefore, not an egg. But dang it, it sure looks like one in that first photo. I was totally in awe until I saw the second photo. I would certainly have picked it up and it would occupy a prominent spot in my collection. Nice tooth by the way. I can't help with the ID, but it is a nice find.

P.S. -- moving water can make a surface very smooth. Google "petosky stone" and check the images and/or videos of how they look when they are found on the shores of the Great Lakes. And that's rock. Tree resin, (think amber or on its way to being amber) is softer and will polish up faster and easier. The rough one in Harry's photo just wasn't in the moving water long enough.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I was hopeful but I know these are far and few between still cool whatever it is thanks for the post! 

• digit changed the title to 3 unknowns take a look!
17 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

The two objects on the left remind me of resin balls -- stream-rounded lumps of tree resin.

Now there's my new fact of the morning. Had not ever heard of (much less seen) a resin ball. Very cool!

I don't know if you found the middle on yesterday but it's the best looking natural simulation for an egg that I've seen in some time. Though it is not an egg it is definitely a keeper for being such a great faker. :) The third item seems to lack the enamel that would be expected for a tooth. I've seen modern pieces of wood (usually cypress) have that texture when pieces of driftwood turn up in my sifting screen in the Peace River. Since you have the piece in hand, can you confirm this is heavier than you'd expect from a piece of wood and that it is definitely hard an mineralized (by tapping it lightly against another fossilized bone to verify you get the expected 'clink')? If it is mineralized, I think I'd still be in the bone or petrified wood camp as it doesn't look like any teeth that I'm familiar with.

Cheers.

-Ken

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 9:08 AM, digit said:

Now there's my new fact of the morning. Had not ever heard of (much less seen) a resin ball. Very cool!

I don't know if you found the middle on yesterday but it's the best looking natural simulation for an egg that I've seen in some time. Though it is not an egg it is definitely a keeper for being such a great faker. :) The third item seems to lack the enamel that would be expected for a tooth. I've seen modern pieces of wood (usually cypress) have that texture when pieces of driftwood turn up in my sifting screen in the Peace River. Since you have the piece in hand, can you confirm this is heavier than you'd expect from a piece of wood and that it is definitely hard an mineralized (by tapping it lightly against another fossilized bone to verify you get the expected 'clink')? If it is mineralized, I think I'd still be in the bone or petrified wood camp as it doesn't look like any teeth that I'm familiar with.

Cheers.

-Ken

Here are some better pics, I am slowly learning how to take a proper picture! Yes it makes the sound of a fossil when tapped with another hard object. If you look at the oics of the back of the "tooth" (I hope) It appears to look as the enamel has worn or chipped away. There is not much of a root to speak of if anything and it in fact a tooth it broke with only this remaining.  I have attached 3 examples ( the pictures with the hands holding a tooth)I found on the web that look similar, I appreciate your opinion, thanks! It's about 35mm top to bottom fyi 

tooth2.jpg

tooth3.jpg

tooth4.jpg

tooth52.jpg

ex1.jpg

ex2.jpg

ex3.jpg

The new photos make the last item look a lot less like wood texture. The second of the new photos does seem to show a thin black enamel covering. The picture following that does seem to show a pulp cavity at the center so it does appear to be a broken crown from a tooth. The curvature near the interface of the root and crown is all wrong for something like a gator tooth. Doesn't seem to have the rings that usually distinguish a cetacean tooth. My guess (and I don't find many of them so don't take it as gospel) is that it might be a mammal canine. Possibly the new images might suggest something to @Harry Pristis.

Cheers.

-Ken

9 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

The expert on these canines is Nate @PrehistoricFlorida.

Looks like he has not been to the forum in a couple months but I sent him a message , thanks everyone for the help!

Stay patient. The fossil's been a long time in the making Nate will check in sooner or later and give his opinion.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Nate still sells on "the auction" site so I'm sure he does check his email now and again. ;)  

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Well now that's pretty cool! How you know ?  Would like to improve my identification skills so I don't have to post so often , thanks brother !