Possible fossilized egg -

TimothyOKeefe

Hello! I found this possible egg in Ulster County NY today! Does any one have any insight?

20200412_190745.jpg

It does not appear to be an egg, and I believe Ulster’s deposits are too old for them (Devonian).

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Yeah I could see that as a possibility for sure! It is interesting because the outer casing surrounds the entire crystal -  I want to post some better pictures later. Such a strange specimen.. Last night I was leaning towards calcified brachiopod?  I really can't tell - I understand that it is very unlikely to be a dinosaur egg, which I had never considered in the first place: originally published my post as "egg" and not "dinosaur egg" Ulster County is in fact dominated by Silurian and Devonian formations, and although examples are exceedingly rare, some animals were in fact laying eggs during this period. I unfortunately haven't ruled the possibility out yet.. I am stumped. In other news I found a hugee brachiopod today - will post soon:)

If it proved to be attached matrix, the crystal would seem to have to be some sort of inclusion and not necessarily growing in a vein - more pics soon.

I have discovered tiny organized pores in the shell! The casing is almost surely organic. I need greater magnification. I'm not unconvinced this isn't an ancient croc egg.

22 hours ago, TimothyOKeefe said:

I'm not unconvinced this isn't an ancient croc egg.

You are correct.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

You are correct.

3 minutes ago, TimothyOKeefe said:

You agree? That was my first impulse 

He is agreeing that you are not unconvinced this isn't an ancient croc egg.

I agree that this is not an egg due to its characteristics and the local geology.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

There were in fact egg laying creatures in the devonian. This is where they first showed up, no? Check out my latest ID request and tell me what you think. Really doesnt look like a mineral vein, there are organized pores in the outer membrane. There were in fact eggs in the devonian, and honestly where I live is incredibly geologically complex. Rondout Valley. I don't understand why you guys are so quick to discount "egg" with the time period. Maybe if you just googled dinosaur egg, but not my original title.

Not an egg. Looks like another type of concretion, to me.  :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

21 minutes ago, TimothyOKeefe said:

don't understand why you guys are so quick to discount "egg" with the time period.

Becuase the first amniotic eggs didn’t evolve until the Carboniferous period if I’m not mistaken wich didn’t come until after the Devonian period....

On 4/13/2020 at 4:58 PM, TimothyOKeefe said:

Mark was referring to your use of a double negative in this sentence. Which makes it read that you are convinced it isn’t a croc egg...

22 minutes ago, TimothyOKeefe said:

There were in fact egg laying creatures in the devonian. This is where they first showed up, no? Check out my latest ID request and tell me what you think. Really doesnt look like a mineral vein, there are organized pores in the outer membrane. There were in fact eggs in the devonian, and honestly where I live is incredibly geologically complex. Rondout Valley. I don't understand why you guys are so quick to discount "egg" with the time period. Maybe if you just googled dinosaur egg, but not my original title.

Not looking for an argument, but can you explain on what you are basing the possibility of eggs in the Devonian. The general thinking is that the type of amniotic eggs wen know from the fossil record don't show up until the Carboniferous period closer to 300 mya.  

Myself and several others on the forum are familiar with that part of New York. I lived and collected there for years. Those Silurian and Devonian formations are for the most part all marine.  I think if you are seeing microsstructure in the "shell" you may indeed have a mineralized brachiopod.  In fact it reminds me of the kind of mineralization I would see in the New Scotland or Coeymans Formation rocks around Kingston.

• I found this Informative 4

17 hours ago, TimothyOKeefe said:

You agree? That was my first impulse 

You used a double negative and that makes your statement read "I am convinced this is not an egg". I agree. It's not an egg. None of the features that would make it an egg are present. Look at it this way: What do you call a car that has no tires, no wheels, no steering wheel, no hood, no trunk, no engine, no suspension, no frame, no body, no bumpers, no doors, no horn, no turn signals, no windshield or windows, no headlights or tail lights, no seats, no pedals, or anything else you would find on a car? Well, there's a few things you can call it, but "car" is not one of them.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 4/13/2020 at 2:58 PM, TimothyOKeefe said:

Correct, not a croc egg.

Sort of difficult to parse this triple negative sentence: not, un- and n’t.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.