Hybodus shark teeth preparation

Foundone

Hi Guys

My son found this neat little fossil on the beach at Charmouth, Dorset, U.K.

We had no clue what it was until we had it looked at by an expert at a fossil roadshow.

We are considering removing some of the limestone matrix that hides some of the  teeth.

Do you think we should attempt to remove some of the matrix or is it too risky.

There are several Hybodus shark teeth in what appears to be part of the jaw bone.

With what I think is a limestone, type matrix covering some of the fossil.

None of the teeth can be seen in full.

I have some experience using fine hand held electric carving tools. And it would be very interesting to see more of the teeth.

What do you think ?

Thank you for looking at this for us.

Matt

962C9EFD-4148-45E7-88BA-39F96E859C0F.jpeg

B100C821-A8F7-4421-9A5E-0244A9F47093.jpeg

9CA31534-272A-4AB9-900D-4A21D4A7817C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

That would certainly be worth prepping if you have the right fine instruments for doing it. However, if you have little experience, it might be recommendable to find someone to do it for you.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That's a fine and rare bit of articulated dentition. As Roger says, if you haven't prepared fossils before, I'd practise on other pieces first or let a professional do it. Acid treatment might be appropriate but that needs handling carefully, often with buffer chemicals and a preservative coating of each bit as you proceed. And I'm not sure what to do about what seems to be cartilage, I've never prepped any!

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Do you have any similar specimens that you could practice on? Best not to go straight in on your best fossils but to practice on things with the same makeup that you won’t be upset at damaging. 
Is the matrix considerably softer than the fossil? If not you might find it difficult to prep with a carving tool

I don’t have anything similar to practice on, so I’m thinking maybe it would be best to find someone with experience to prep this rare fossil for me.

If anyone knows someone in the U.K who would be good to contact about professional fossil preparation, please let me know.

Thank you for the excellent advise so far.

Matt

Moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow thats a great and very rare fossil! Congrats! 

@LiamL might know some guys who should be able to prep this.

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

On 13/04/2020 at 12:18 PM, Foundone said:

I don’t have anything similar to practice on, so I’m thinking maybe it would be best to find someone with experience to prep this rare fossil for me.

If anyone knows someone in the U.K who would be good to contact about professional fossil preparation, please let me know.

Thank you for the excellent advise so far.

Matt

Check out Lizzy Hingley. Shoot me a PM if your interested as I’m not sure I can say her website here. I’ve heard very good things about her prep :). You should have a look around online for the preparators in Charmouth and Lyme Regis as I’m sure you can find someone very experienced in prepping this type of fossil and stone.

• I found this Informative 1

Whatever tools you decide to use in prepping this specimen please post progress and/or finished photos.  If the matrix is soft, you may find using an XACTO will give you better control over what and how much matrix you remove.

I've got the feeling that the matrix is pretty hard, so all the better letting a pro do the job. It's a bit of a way from Norfolk to Dorset, but I would also recommend Lizzy, who has built up a very good reputation. It's well worth the postage.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/