Is this a fake trilobite fossil?

Hey guys,

Recently my friend bought a trilobite and the seller told him it was a reedops, but I checked some pictures on the website and found that it should be a drotops?

Both eyes showing good details but still quite doubt that this one is a fake trilobite cuz the seller just gave him a wrong information. I don't have any experience on how to recognize these kind of fossils. The last picture was send to him by the seller.

Please help me T T  Many thanks!!

WeChat Image_20200413212445.jpg

WeChat Image_20200413212450.jpg

WeChat Image_20200413212455.jpg

WeChat Image_20200413212459.jpg

WeChat Image_20200413212528.jpg

It is likely a Drotops megalomanicus. It seems authentic, although the back end looks a bit strange in the picture and could have restoration (second image where there seems to be a much lighter colouration). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

It is likely a Drotops megalomanicus. It seems authentic, although the back end looks a bit strange in the picture and could have restoration (second image where there seems to be a much lighter colouration). 

Thank you for the help!!!

..and if it had some restored parts, is it still worth $$$? 

Sorry, but as per forum rules we do not provide appraisals. :( 

My worry about this piece is that the back end almost looks entirely like a cast / composite. If it were me, I'd hold off and wait for a possibly better specimen.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

Sorry, but as per forum rules we do not provide appraisals. :( 

My worry about this piece is that the back end almost looks entirely like a cast / composite. If it were me, I'd hold off and wait for a possibly better specimen.

Thanks mate!! We will try to do refund then T T

What is genuine seems to be of decent quality. If the price was good it's not a bad partial by any means. From what I can tell everything above this red line is real.20200413_102847.jpg.b3e557e1d85e43d3db0e89e65692fa31.jpg

Provided it wasn't priced like a complete trilobite you could potentially remove the casted section and still be left with a good piece. But that's just my two cents :shrug:

10 hours ago, Huntonia said:

What is genuine seems to be of decent quality. If the price was good it's not a bad partial by any means. From what I can tell everything above this red line is real.20200413_102847.jpg.b3e557e1d85e43d3db0e89e65692fa31.jpg

Provided it wasn't priced like a complete trilobite you could potentially remove the casted section and still be left with a good piece. But that's just my two cents :shrug:

Really appreciate your help!!! Yeh the head of this trilobite is okay, I will tell my friends and take more consideration about it! Thank you!!!