Michigan fossil

Mayorman

Found in a ditch near in the western lower peninsula of Michigan. I'm guessing stromatolite. What do you think?

_MG_1582s.JPG

_MG_1583s.JPG

_MG_1584s.JPG

_MG_1603s.JPG

_MG_1607s.JPG

Please be patient. Not everyone who can provide their expertise is logged on at all times. 

Are stromatolites reported at this location? I don't think it is, and I would guess this is a geological feature of non-biological origin. Still, pretty neat piece!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

IMHO I would think that it is a stromatolite that was glacially transported. Otherwise it might be a limestone/dolostone rock. Hard to tell really.

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Stromatolites are reported here. I've found a few pieces but this would be the largest. I found it in a gravely area so it's likely that it was deposited by glaciers along with the rest of the gravel. Assuming that it is a fossil, is there anything it could be aside from a stromatolite?

• 3 years later...

I have Stromatolites found in both SW Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. They appear to be the same coloration as your pictured. Some have tried to tell me they are Stromatoporoids, but there are no mammelons, and the general features are not quite the same. One I found in a former gravel pit area. I'd love to know more about these fossils.