Fossil Radiography

Allosaurus

I know radiographs are used to locate fossils within rock, but I'm curious if anyone knows the specific settings that are used for this? Typically, the settings for radiographs (for animals) are based on weight, but does that also hold true for fossils or does it depend more on the type of rock? 

There must be a density difference between the fossil and the matrix for it to work. That is why bones are white and lung tissue is black on a picture. Differences in density!!!  For fossils, settings are completely different than in a normal radiology situation,  because of the similarity in density of the fossil to the matrix. I helped a forum member once X-ray matrix with embedded crinoids. My attempt to adjust settings in order to achieve a good image failed tremendously. So, I contacted my dealer for advice and we eventually had success to a modest degree. Never could one discern the difference between a keeper crinoid and a marginal specimen. Just that there was an vague image of a crinoid crown imbedded in the matrix. One would still have to preform a major prep in order to visualize the quality of the specimen. My advice is to call an X-ray technician if you are going to attempt this and go with their recommendations. But do not expect results as good as a patient's pictures. If you would like to talk to them, pm me and I will send you their phone number. And just to be clear, they enjoyed the challenge of a fossil!!!! 

Mike

• I found this Informative 4

I've done quite a bit of x-raying and CTing of fossils.   Mike is right, some fossils work better than others.  and some just show nothing.  It is allabout the density difference. And you cannot tell by sight what will work and what won't. Most times the techs just say, "let's turn this machine way up".  

Good luck

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you. Yeah I figured some might work while others won't, but it's worth a shot and I'm curious if there's even a chance of seeing something under the matrix. 

@minnbuckeye I sent you a PM